Freshman volleyball player shines in her first season as a Warrior

Freshman setter Nina Wyer poses with a ball in the South Gym. Wyer has been a big asset for the women’s volleyball team and leads all setters in assists with 257 assists this season and leads in assists per set (6.27). Photo credit: Jorge Villa

A young girl’s athletic career consisted of playing soccer her whole life until she went to the sixth grade and her best friend convinced her to play volleyball.

She started playing for a club team and immediately knew she had to keep going, even though it was just a social activity to begin with.

Setting was a calling to Nina Wyer, freshman setter for the current women’s volleyball team at El Camino, who has been playing that position ever since her start in the sixth grade.

This season, Wyer has been constantly fighting for her spot in the team all season, and through adversity and tough matches, her play has been consistent enough for EC coach Le Valley Pattison to keep her in.

“We’re looking for a consistent setter,” Pattison said. “She just happens to be that (in important games). Our setters step up at different times and for a freshman she needs to be more consistent.”

Her job is as important as a quarterback is to any football team, but as unrewarding and unnoticed as a catcher on a baseball team. However, her mother Kimiah Wyer said her daughter doesn’t mind that sort of role.

“She’s a hard worker,” Wyer’s mother said. “She’s like a quiet lion or tiger. She never complains, doesn’t look for recognition, and loves being a good part for her team.”

Her battle against fellow freshman setter Cassie Montani and freshman outside hitter Skyler Ceballos, who made the transition to setter recently, has been a good thing for her.

“I definitely like it,” Wyer said. “I don’t want them to take my position and they’re really awesome setters.”

Ceballos, who played with Wyer at South High School, considers her a good teammate and that the competition at the position isn’t any different from being on the court.

“She’s a good, no, she’s a great setter,” Ceballos said. “She works hard, encourages people and does her best (for the team).”

Wyer’s mother added that it was a good thing for her daughter to be in constant competition.

“It’s a fight for something you love,” Wyer’s mother said. “The best person should be on the court.”

Dean Wyer, Nina’s father, said that her role on the team has helped her now and will do so in the future.

“She’s matured a lot,” he said. “(Volleyball) has helped with her leadership on the floor.”

Wyer has been a good addition to the team as a freshman, and leads the team with 224 assists and 6.05 assists per set; but she does make mistakes on the court, which led to the competition for the starting spot.

Her father feels an internal struggle while watching the games and cheering for his daughter’s athletic career.

“I’m fully supportive of her,” Wyer’s father said. “But it’s like I feel her every move on the court and sometimes it’s stressful. I can’t help her if she makes a mistake. I guess as a father I just want to help her; but I’m really happy to be able to see and cheer for her.”

Wyer has been an integral piece to this season’s success, thus far, and the Warriors are currently 14-2 overall, 4-0 in the South Coast Conference and ranked No. 6 in the state.

Along with the success of the team on the line and the importance of the setter position, Wyer will be the most confident choice for the team’s future.