Women’s soccer improves record after defeating Pasadena

The Warriors’ women’s soccer team improved their record with a 2-1 victory against Pasadena City College (PCC) on Friday Oct.2, according to cccaasports.org.

At the 11-minute mark of the first half, freshman midfielder Miranda Ramirez assisted freshman forward Kelsey Orseth’s goal with a pass into the box for the Warriors.

Five minutes later, PCC responded with an attack of their own with a shot from sophomore forward Ani Hemelians and was denied by EC’s freshman goalkeeper Olivia Hover.

The Lancers’ freshman goalie, Monica Rogers, made a crucial mistake at the 17-minute mark that cost them an easy goal. EC freshman forward Orseth stole the ball from Rogers and chipped it over her to give the Warriors a 2-0 lead.

“Scoring two goals in this game felt really good, but in the end it was a team effort.” Orseth said. “We had our opportunities to win by more goals, however we did not execute like we wanted to.”

In the last two minutes of the first half, the PCC offense had three opportunities to score. All the shots were on target, however the Warriors’ goalkeeper stepped up and denied every attempt.

The Warriors’ offense was on fire at the start of the second half with four shots on target. Those attempts should have easily been goals, assistant coach Darin Dunn said.

“Our chances were very high,” Dunn said. “Those tap-ins need to go in. That is something our offense (needs) to focus on in practice, executing the ball.”

After nine attempts combined in the second half, PCC was able to find the net at the 72-minute mark. Sophomore forward Hemelians dribbled into the box, fired on target and scored. The Warriors’ keeper, Hover, made a mistake by leaving the goal post unprotected.

For the remainder of the game, the Lancers controlled the ball and had three more shots than the Warriors (six shots total). The Warriors’ defense and midfield were beginning to feel frustration in the last minutes of the match.

“Those final three attempts should have been goals. They were almost unavoidable,” Pasadena coach Reggie Rivas said.

Two games before playing El Camino, the Lancers were on a two-game losing streak. Their season record stands at (2-6) and the Warriors’ stands at (3-4-2).

The Warriors are currently on a two-game winning streak and this victory brings positive vibes, Dunn said.

“Winning today’s game brings momentum and it gives our players hope for the next away game at Long Beach City College. It’s going to be a tough one,” Dunn said.

The next game for the Warriors is on Tuesday, Oct. 6 at Long Beach City College, and will kick off at 4 p.m.