Women’s water polo 0-3 after ECC Tournament

The women’s water polo team didn’t make a big enough splash during Friday’s Home Tournament, placing their season record at 0-3.

The Warriors had a rough start to the season, losing 21-1 to Santa Monica and 16-0 to Pasadena, according to the California Community College Athletic Association’s (CCCAA) website.

“We have a small team, we did the best we could together”, sophomore Annette Flores-Linares said. “We all have our advantages and disadvantages, so I mean we are all trying. We need to talk more, work on more efficient communication skills as a team.”

The Warriors have now set up a plan and they need to act upon that if they want to win this season.

Part of this was because there are a lot of newcomers on the team with more than half not having any water polo background whatsoever, making learning the sport one of the most important goals of the season, coach Corey Stanbury said.

Even though they were defeated in both games, “they did pretty good because they improved in the second game, they started to get the idea of what water polo is about,” Stanbury expressed with an optimistic outlook. “Our passes are not where they need to be but at least we are starting to get where we need to be.”

The Warriors refocused themselves in the second game, as they began getting familiar with the sport and played accordingly.

Richelle Miller and Leticia Pitones were singled out by Stanbury as two of his strongest players of the season and the ones to keep a watch for.

Stanbury also pointed out Mt. San Antonio College as their strongest opponent and “toughest team they have played so far.” Pasadena was the strongest team they played on Friday’s tournament.

“Communication is the big one I think, and knowing how to time it, knowing when one person is open and coordinate with each other as a team is important,” freshman Bethany Andrade said. “Overall I think we did pretty well, as we are still gaining experience as water polo players, but we did well for first timers.”

With more games ahead in the season, this is only the beginning, as Stanbury remains optimistic about his new team and still holds faith that they can change statistics and finish strong. There is still time for improvement.

“These ladies are a lot of fun and they are really enthusiastic, learning a lot and having a good time no matter what the outcome of our games were; they’re fun to work with because they are eager to learn,” Stanbury said.

The Warriors will travel to Chaffey College for its next match on Sept. 23 at 3 pm.