Football team loses to Saddleback in rout

Quarterback Jorge Hernandez scans the field for a pass while offensive lineman Michael Holliday holds back Saddleback College defensive end Lamar Madkin at Redondo Union High School on Saturday. The Warriors lost to the Gauchos 42-17 on Saturday night. Photo credit: Jackie Romano

The El Camino football team came into the game looking to overcome last week’s tough one-point loss, instead the Warriors came out flat in a 42-17 blowout loss to Saddleback College at Redondo Union High School on Saturday.

The Gauchos offense, led by quarterback Johnny Stanton, moved the ball up and down the field at will with long drives, while the Warriors were plagued by mental errors and turnovers.

“If my team is not ready, it’s my fault,” Coach John Featherstone said. “There’s a few things that I didn’t do, that allowed them to become a little complacent.”

EC sophomore quarterback Jorge Hernandez gave the Warriors an early 7-3 lead in the first quarter when he broke loose for a 72-yard touchdown run.

Saddleback wide receiver Dominic Collins scored on 93-yard catch and run touchdown. The extra point was no good, and gave the Gauchos a 9-7 lead. The Warriors defense gave up 19 unanswered points in the second quarter and trailed at the half, 22-10.

“It’s a momentum game,” Defensive Coordinator Andrew Alvillar said. “Saddleback came out and executed their offense. They’re a good team despite their 0-2 start.”

The Warriors struggled on offense after firing on all cylinders the previous week. Hernandez finished 21-of-48 for 206 yards while adding 103 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

“We had a rough game,” Hernandez said. “We have to go back and watch film, correct this and next week come out ready to play.”

The Warriors defense had its hands full trying to contain Stanton, as he passed for 468 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 72 yards on 20 carries.

Sophomore outside linebacker Victor Villarreal led the defense with 14 tackles and two sacks. Freshman defensive lineman Raymond Lima added 10 tackles and a sack.

“We have a ton of football left,” Featherstone said. “We have a bunch of good kids and we’ll be right in the hunt.”

Next up for the Warriors is a road game versus Citrus College on Sept. 26, at 1 p.m.