Men’s water polo fall in season opener

Photo credit: Neddie Facio
Neddie Facio
Photo credit: Neddie Facio

The men’s water polo team lost against Fullerton College Wednesday with a final score of 25-4 to start off its season 0-1.

During the third quarter of the game, the Warriors struggled to catch up to Fullerton’s 20-point lead.

Although EC was able to gain access to the ball and score after Fullerton failed to take the shot before the 35-second buzzer, Fullerton was able to maintain their 21-point lead.

There were a lot of new players to the game, according to EC coach Corey Stanbury.

“We have a couple of people who are learning the game for the first time,” Stanbury said. “They got an introduced to the game in a real situation and played a decent team.”

Stanbury said that he feels his players learned a lot more about counter-attack and how to plan for different situations during the game.

“Some situations we tried to plan for, but we haven’t had enough time to expose everyone to everything, but as we play more games we will get more experience,” Stanbury said.

Richard Beck, 19, a new member to the Warriors, said they are a “new and inexperienced team” and just need to improve how they play during games.

“We have a lot of pretty new and inexperienced players on the team,” Beck said. “The practices are fun, but we need to just get better during games.”

According to Beck, the team needs to improve their focus during the game.

“Our awareness needs to get better,” Beck said. “No one knows where anyone is. We need to work on our ball-handling and overall skills.”

Despite the final score, both teams made a lot of mistakes, according to Fullerton College coach Rhett Price.

“We are a young team and they are a young team,” Price said. “We made mistakes that other teams won’t make and we’ll find ourselves on the other side if that scoreboard.”

There were a few good moments from the Warriors that stood out to Stanbury during the game.

“In the first quarter, we had a situation where we had a nice pass to someone who stepped out of the set and scored a nice cross-gauge goal,” Stanbury said. “We did some good defense a couple of times.”

In order to better the team for the next game, Stabury said that they will have to focus on any problem areas at practice.

“In practices, we can see where we have weak spots and try and work on those and get better,” Stanbury said.

If they continue to do things right in practices, the team will continue to improve and will start doing more things right in the games, Stanbury said.

The Warriors’ next men’s water polo game will be at Mt. San Antonio College on Wednesday at 4:15 p.m.