Defense holds football up in season opener

Wide receiver Stevie Williams jumps into the end zone for a touch down during the third quarter as Pasadena City College defensive back Luis Luna attempts to stop Williams. The Warriors defeated the Lancers 31-23 Saturday night. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Warriors’ defense recorded 10 sacks to help hold off Pasadena City College, 31-23, in the football season-opener at Redondo Union High School on Saturday.

EC had a 31-10 lead with five minutes left in the game. The Lancers then mounted a comeback with an eight-play 46-yard drive, capped by running back Justin Carroll’s one-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion attempt failed, making the score 31-16.

The EC offense stalled and PCC got the ball back with just over one minute left on the clock. The Lancers drove down the field in seven plays to the Warriors’ one-yard line, with quarterback Jett Even’s one-yard touchdown pass to Jalyn Williams cutting the Warriors’ lead, 31-23.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Lancers recovered the onside kick. The Warriors got a big sack from sophomore defensive lineman Austin Vaimili and the Lancers’ comeback fell short as time expired.

“I told the kids it’s going to be a fourth quarter football game,” Coach John Featherstone said. “I’m really glad it came down to this at the end because if we ever get in that situation again, our guys will know exactly how to win.”

EC sophomore quarterback Jorge Hernandez completed 23 of 38 passes for 267 yards and one touchdown, as well as recording a rushing touchdown. Hernandez did well in managing the offense and finding open the group of talented freshman wide receivers.

“We had a lot of freshmen and they were able to get their feet wet a little bit,” Hernandez said. “They’re still learning and they’re getting better everyday.”

Freshman wide receiver Stevie Williams, a Garfield High School alumni, caught seven passes for 112 yards and one touchdown. Williams is a smooth route runner with soft hands and good speed.

“In the locker room I was pretty nervous,” Williams said. “I talked to my coaches and they said just play your game and play how we teach you to play. That’s just what I did tonight.”

Sophomore running back Justice Anyanwu finished with 96 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns.

The Warriors defense held the Lancers to 284 yards of total offense and only four yards rushing. Linebacker Victor Villarreal led the defense with 12 tackles. Freshman defensive lineman Raymond Lima added seven tackles and four sacks.

“This is a huge win for us to go into the season,” Featherstone said. “I think we are going to get better and better.”

EC returns to action next Saturday with a road game against Ventura College. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.