Randy Totorp departing EC

TRISTAN BELLISIMO
Athletic Director Randy Totorp is leaving El Camino for Long Beach City College on Sept. 11. Totorp was at EC for a year. In this file photo from Sept. 2014, Totorp visits a football practice before the Warriors first game of the season. Photo credit: Tristan Bellisimo

Randy Totorp will be leaving his position as Director of Athletics and Kinesiology at El Camino on Friday, Sept. 11.

According to Totorp, he will be heading back to Long Beach City College (LBCC), where he will be the new Athletics Director; he previously worked at LBCC in the School of Student Affairs, Kinesiology, Athletics and Health Education for 11 years.

“(EC) has been a fantastic place to work with great people and great student athletes,” Totorp said.

Totorp’s decision to leave El Camino was largely influenced by his living very near LBCC.

“I live about 10 minutes away from LBCC, I drive past the school every day,” Totorp said.

It wasn’t until a position opened up at LBCC that sparked his decision in returning.

“I never thought about going back to LBCC,” Totorp said. “This past summer when they opened up the position of athletic director, I had to think about all the possibilities.”

Though Totorp is returning to his alma mater, he still has enjoyed his time working here at EC, and does feel bad about leaving after a “short period of time.”