Golf team gets player to state finals

On their ascent towards a potential state title, the men’s golf team went to the Foothill Conference Championship at Glendora Golf Course.

The Warriors went on their mission to beat rival, College of the Deserts in 36 rounds but lost to the eventual conference champion by 69 strokes.

“At the beginning of the season, we were all nervous and sometimes it was unsettling,” James Harper said. “I can play with the nerves now.”

The Warriors finished in second place with a score of 778. Everyone was eligible for the Foothill Conference Championships.

David Thomas, in his first year, was named first team All Foothill Conference and qualified for regional competitions along with second-year player Ryan Saldana and first-year player James Harper.

“It’s more mental for me and not over thinking too much,” Thomas said.

At the conference finals, Thomas had scores of 81 and 77 and is ranked 18th in the So Cal conference.

The Warriors’ overall conference record is 27-9 while their overall record is 35-20-1.

“I don’t have to hold anything back and I’m definitely going to have an aggressive mindset from here on out,” Thomas said.

Harper and Erwyn Lam were named in the second team All-Foothill conference.

Harper was the only member of the team who advanced to state competitions, which will be on Monday at Santa Maria Country Club.

“It was really close but I got in,” Harper said. “I have to prove myself again on Monday.”