Volleyball team wins big at home

Optimism was the key word for the men’s volleyball team at the game against Golden West College on Feb. 24. With a 4-2 record and an all around solid team, the Warriors are back and strong as ever. 

The team’s ranks are made up mostly of freshmen this year, but the inexperience associated with the word “freshman” is no where to be seen on the courts, Richard Blount, men’s volleyball coach, said.

“We’re very good, and I expect us to prove it,” Blount said. “There’s a lot of talent on this team. I have 10 kids who can start.”

While the volleyball game went to five matches, the Warriors beat Golden West College, 25-17, 25-22, 26-28, 17-25, 15-8.

Trevor Butler, outside hitter, led the game with 16 kills, while Kevin Burrell, middle blocker, had nine kills and 13 blocks. Hunter Hovland, outside hitter, finished the match with a team-high 18 digs and eight blocks.

Joseph Tanuvasa, setter, led  the team with 39 assists.

The team is equally as sure of its abilities as the coach is. All the pre-season play and training has given Blount a good idea of what players can accomplish and therefore, has set the bar high for the team, he said.

“We have a really strong team, we can do anything,” Alex Santamaria, libero, said.

Blount added that even the bench is coming through strong during the games, which is a valuable strength for the team and will be absolutely necessary all season.

“Our team is determined to go all the way to get into the playoffs and move on,” Blount said.

Matthew Pimblett, outside hitter, is confident in his team as well. 

“Like any team, we have a few kinks to work out, but we’re good, and we’re improving,” Pimblett said. “There’s no team in the state we can’t beat if we play to our potential.”

Riley Theunissen, outside hitter, said that they have a great “squad,” and thinks that everyone works well together. Santamaria added that there was “great camaraderie on and off the court.”

Blount agrees about the team’s camaraderie, recalling a time recently when they all hung out at a player’s house. 

“It’s strong,” Blount said. “They hang out at the beach together. It’s terrific because we have a nice blend.”

The Warriors will travel to Moorpark College on Friday for their first Western State Conference match-up.