Swimmers work on improving

Following five away meets, the swim teams will host two meets at their own pool.

The first of two meets will take place tomorrow against Cerritos. The Pasadena Invitational, April 9-10, will be the last chance for the Warriors to sharpen their skills before they travel.

“It should be a very interesting meet,” coach Corey Stanbury said of the upcoming Cerritos match. “They have a couple of pretty strong swimmers.”

Friday and Saturday, the Warriors competed in the Cuesta Invitationals. The Invitational included a number of Southern California community colleges’ swim and diving teams sprinkled along with a few Northern California community colleges.

Allyson Steiner, sophomore , said that the Cuesta Invitationals went pretty well.

“I did my season’s best in three events,” Steiner said.

Steiner competed in the 500 meter freestyle, 200 meter freestyle and 100 meter backstroke.

Matt Pifer finished in eighth place in the 50 meter freestyle. Eric Weiner placed seventh in the 200 meter fly .

Pifer said he didn’t swim as well as he wanted to. He said that he didn’t like his performance in the 100 meter freestyle.

“I was really tired,” he said. “I was happy for my one hundred backstroke and fifty free.”

“I think the reason I did so well in the fifty freestyle was because it was my last event,” he said. “I had a three-hour resting period. I had a big long rest.”

On the women’s side, Ashley Stanbury was the only one to place. She finished 15th in the 500 meter free, and 15th in the 1650 meter freestyle.

“I think overall we swam very well,” Stanbury said. “We had a lot, not only lifetime best performances, but season’s best.”

Much like the men and women’s team, the divers will have home field advantage. With a team consisting of Wendell Perkins, Sean Anthony, Adam Vore and Lindsey Thurmond, the team will face off against Cerritos.

“We are going to throw in optional dives,” coach Laurie Dawdy said. “The harder ones, the more challenging, we are now going to step up to the challenge.”

Dawdy said that while Cerritos is talented, it doesn’t match up with the Warriors.

“I don’t think they are our direct competition,” she said, “but they can give us a run for our money.”

After Cerritos, the divers will travel to Pasadena April 9 and 10. The team will use the competition in preparation for its next meet.

“That’s going to be the unveiling of a finished product,” Dawdy said. “There won’t be much time before regionals. It’s not work time in between, just fine tuning.”

The diving team left last Friday for the Cuesta Invitationals, where Wendell Perkins was the top performer.

“He finished second in both boards, one meter and three meters,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

“I think Wendell did really well, especially as far as finding out exactly where he needs to be for state championships,” Dawdy said.

Sean Anthony finished 10th in the three meters.

Lindsay Thurmond finished seventh in the three meter and 15th in the one meter.

“I think the divers’ performances were outstanding,” Dawdy said. “They all pretty much dove into their potential.”