Teams make big splash at invitational

After a grueling invitational at Mt. SAC last week, the swin teams will once again go to another invitational at Cuesta Community College.

The Warriors will travel next week to compete against junior colleges from both Northern and Southern California.

“The Cuesta Invitational gives you a good indication of whether or not you’ve got a shot,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

The men’s and women’s swim teams may have had two days at Mt. SAC last week, but the Warriors’ diving team had the first feel of the water when it went there a day earlier.

Wendell Perkins had an outstanding performance and earned himself 375 points, putting him first versus 26 other divers assembled from various community colleges across California.

Perkins was not the only one who had a great performance that day. Teammates Sean Anthony, who finished in seventh with 235 points, and Adam Vore, who finished in 10th with his 208 points, also did well.

With the weather being warm the following day, the Warriors’ men’s and women’s swim teams went to the two-day meet at Mt. SAC feeling comfortable. The competition was steep, with competitors from 25 different junior colleges facing off against one another.

EC’s men team finished 11th and the women finished in 16th place.

“There were a lot of seasonal best times,” Stanbury said, “and a fair number of lifetime best performances.”

Stanbury said that the teams performed well on both days, but were tired afterward.

The men’s 11th place finish wouldn’t have happened without the great perfomances of Eric Weiner, who finished sixth in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:12.46.

Matt Pifer finished third in the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.15.

Pifer also finished fifth in the 100 backstroke, finishing in 58.92 and finished sixth in the 50 freestyle.

“I am excited about his swimming because he’s swimming two to three times farther in workouts than he did in high school,” Stanbury said.

“He’s close to his lifetime best, while doing heavy training.”

Pifer said that he really surprised himself on Friday when he swam the 500 backstroke.

“I’m really happy with my performance,” Pifer said. “The reason is because of the practices.”

Kelly Murtha finished 16th in the 100 backstroke and eighth in the 200 backstroke.

For the women, outstanding performances by Jayme Barton and Ashley Stanbury allowed the team to finish 16th out of 26 colleges.

Ashley Stanbury was 10th in the 200 freestroke at a time of 2:12.28 and ninth in the 500 freestroke with a 5:48:66 finish.

Barton’s time of 32.92 allowed her to finish in 11th place and her 13th place finish in the 100 meter backstroke was finished in 1:10.10.