Profile: Versatile Weeks has eyes set on succeeding

He can play multiple positions, he’s a good fielder, he can hit and if that’s not enough, he can pitch too. He is Joel Weeks, the new starting shortstop for the Warriors.

Some may have heard of him, but for those who haven’t, last June, Weeks was named the 2003 Daily Breeze Player of the Year.

Some of the other accolades that decorate this former West High graduate’s past is a Bay League MVP award with clutch hitting and pitching performances.

At the plate, he hit .447, with four home runs and 24 runs batted in. On the mound, he compiled a record of 8-4 with a 2.30 ERA, striking out 75 batters in 76 innings pitched.

Harry Jenkins who’s been coaching at West High for the past 14 season, agrees with his former captain.

“Joel was one of the hardest working kids that’s probably ever played for me,” Jenkins said.

That’s no small task, considering that in those 14 years Jenkins has run a program in which seven of his players have won the Daily Breeze Player of the Year.

What sets Weeks apart from most is his outstanding work ethic Jenkins said.

“He’s very talented, but than he added a tremendous work ethic to make himself a player of the year caliber,” Jenkins said. “Without a good work ethic, he would have just been a good high school player.”

Some of that work ethic can be contributed to Weeks’ father, who has been a major influence and supporter in his young career.

“His dad has always been there for him,” Jenkins said. “When everyone was tired and leaving practice, he and his dad would just start batting practice all over again.

One would be quick to guess that such a talented player with so many awards under his belt would be all into himself but not so.

“Joel was never about himself, he’s a pretty humble guy,” Jenkins said. “He’s a quiet, unassuming kid.”

However, don’t let his quietness fool you because on the diamond he’s a fierce competitor who leads by example.

“He was a really good team leader, he leads by his actions,” Jenkins said. “He’s really one the best players to ever come out of West Torrance.”

Weeks comes to EC with high expectations not only for himself, but for his new team.

“I want to do the best I can and help out the team in any way necessary,” Weeks said. “I want to help this team make the playoffs.”

Weeks, who’s majoring in criminal justice, has many aspirations, but for right now everything is centered around baseball.

“Baseball is pretty much my thing,” Weeks said. “I’ve been playing baseball since I’ve basically been able to walk.”

One of those aspirations is transferring in the near future to a Division 1 school.

“Long Beach State, USC, and Fullerton are the main three schools that I’m interested in transferring too,” Weeks said. “This is a good team, but I want to transfer maybe after this year or most likely next.”

Jenkins has a strong feeling about Weeks’ ability to make it big at the top level in amateur baseball.

From the dugout, Jenkins watched Weeks play five days a week. The warm afternoon sun basks overhead as he fields ground balls. Jenkins has seen many players step to that field.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll play for a Division I school,” Jenkins said. “He’s going to be an excellent player.”