Softball team clings on to first place after loss to East Los Angeles

It was a windy 70 degree day as the Warriors battled against the East L.A. College (ELAC) Huskies.

It was a long hard fought battle as the Warriors and the Huskies went head to head in their third match up of the season. El Camino fought hard against ELAC but were unable to caputure the lead. The Huskies defeated the Warriors 5-3 in seven innings.

“I think we came together (but) I guess it just didn’t fall into place,” sophomore left fielder Kathy Orozco said. “There were just little errors that we could have cleaned up a bit but they just were not falling in our favor.”

It was an uphill battle as the Warriors tried to battle back and regain the lead. At the top of the fourth inning EC was down 4-0.

It was the bottom of the fourth inning when the Warriors scored their first run. The bases were loaded when sophomore Kirsten Romero came up to bat. Romero connected and sent the ball straight to the first baseman. A dropped ball by the first baseman allowed Romero to go to first, sophomore Tori Garcia advanced to third, sophomore Samantha Lauro scored and Orozco went out at home.

“We learned from our mistakes in the first couple of innings we began to crowd the plate [and] wait to get our pitch and try to go and attack the ball,”Orozco said.

EC scored two more runs in the fifth and sixth inning but it wasn’t enough for them to take the lead from the huskies.

The Warriors had success on the plate, got good looks and a few hits but they couldn’t keep their balls on the ground.

“We didn’t execute the game plan to hit the ball hard on the floor, play catch and throw strikes,” sophomore second baseman Marissa Padilla said.

EC made good strides throughout the game on defense and offense and tried to take back the lead. Sophomore second baseman Marissa Padilla had one RBI, and sophomore pitcher Reina Trejo had five strikeouts on the mound.

“We need to execute, we need to hit the ball on the ground which we haven’t been doing and attack our pitches,” sophomore short stop Tori Garcia said. “We’ve been attacking but not the way we know how.”

The Warriors are still no.1 in their conference with a record of 14-3. Their next game is a home game against the L.A. Valley College Monarchs at 2 p.m.

“We have to forget about what happened these last two days, go in hard ready to play tomorrow, and finish out the week strong,” Garcia said.