Police Beat 9/3 – 9/10

Saturday, Sept. 3 at 1:47 p.m., officers responded to the Student Services Center regarding a suspicious female subject. The woman, who was not a student, was telling people that everyone was trying to kill her. Officers located the subject at the location and detained her pending further investigation. Officers were convinced the subject was gravely disabled and placed her in protective custody. She was transported to a local hospital for a 72-hour psychological evaluation.

Saturday, Sept. 3 at 4:41 p.m., an officer responded to the Athletic Field regarding a medical aid call. A female in the Police Explorer program was participating with her class in physical training (jogging around the track). She began to experience difficulty breathing and felt dizzy. Paramedics were immediately notified and arrived on scene. She was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

Wednesday, Sept. 7 at 9:10 a.m., an officer responded to the Pool regarding a medical aid call. A male student was bleeding from his nose. Paramedics were immediately notified and arrived on scene. The student declined to be transported to a local hospital, stating he has a history of nosebleeds, but does not know what causes them.

Thursday, Sept. 8 at 2:19 p.m., officers responded to the PD lobby regarding a male subject who was acting strangely. Officers located the subject, who was not a student, at the location and detained him pending further investigation. The subject was rambling about a monopoly taking over Whole Foods and motor sport shops. He was transported to a local hospital for a 72-hour psychological evaluation.

Thursday, Sept. 8 at 3:23 p.m., an officer responded to the Music Building Room 7 regarding a check the welfare call. The father of a female student wanted the officer to see if his daughter was in class. The father said that he received a phone call from an unknown male subject that his daughter was being held hostage. The officer located the daughter in class and escorted her to her vehicle. The officer then followed her home to make sure she arrived safely. The officer waited at their residence until a Torrance PD officer arrived to take a report. It appears that the father was a victim of a phone scam where the caller tells the victim that their loved one has been kidnapped and then demands money. The father had already wired approximately $3,000 to the unknown subject.

Thursday, Sept. 8 at 6:18 p.m., an officer conducted a traffic stop on a male subject riding a bicycle near the Music Building. The subject told the officer that he was a student and that he was on probation for possession of methamphetamine. The officer located a small amount of methamphetamine and cocaine in the subject’s wallet. He was arrested for possession of two controlled substances and transported to Torrance PD for booking. The student will also be referred to the Director of Student Development.

Thursday, Sept. 8 at 9:48 p.m., an officer responded to the ITECH building regarding a medical aid call. A male student who was participating in his welding class injured his hands while using a pedestal grinding wheel. Paramedics were immediately notified and arrived on scene. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. This report was forwarded to the Office of Safety and Health.

Friday, Sept. 9 at 4:45 p.m., an officer conducted a traffic stop on the 3500 block of Manhattan Beach Boulevard for a man riding his bicycle on the sidewalk. The subject, a non-student, had a $40,000 warrant issued of the Lomita Sheriff’s station for resisting arrest. The officer also located a hypodermic needle and a glass smoking pipe in his backpack. He was arrested for the warrant, possession of a hypodermic needle and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was transported to Torrance PD for booking.

Saturday, Sept. 10 at 2:34 p.m., an officer responded to the Athletic Field regarding a medical aid call. A female non-student, who was participating in an organized soccer game, injured her left hip. Paramedics were immediately notified and arrived on scene. She was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.