Police Beat May 16-May 22

May 16, 3:20 p.m. – An officer responded to the Art and Behavioral Sciences Building Room 125 regarding a disturbing the peace call. A male staff member said that the boyfriend of one of his student workers came to his work area looking for his girlfriend. When the staff member stepped outside to inform the boyfriend that his girlfriend will be right out, the boyfriend began to yell obscenities at the staff member. The girlfriend told the staff member that her boyfriend can get very jealous. The staff member said he is not in fear of his safety, but wanted to report the incident to the police. Both the boyfriend and girlfriend are students. They will be referred to the Director of Student Development.

May 16, 11:35 p.m. – Officers were called to the city of El Segundo to pick up a female subject that El Segundo Police Department was detaining. The subject was stopped for speeding but during a records check, it was revealed that she had a $15,000 arrest warrant from El Camino Police Department. The warrant was for child endangerment. The subject is a former student from 2006. Officers took custody of the subject and transported her to Torrance PD for booking, a report was taken.

May 18, 3:50 p.m. – An officer responded to the police station lobby regarding a theft report. A male student said that his bicycle was stolen from the bike racks near the southeast portion of the Administration Building. A report was taken.

May 19, 12:15 p.m. – An officer conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle for making an illegal left turn. The location of the stop was the 15600 block of Crenshaw Boulevard. The non-student male driver was driving on a suspended license. The officer issued him a citation for the violation and the vehicle was parked legally at the location. A report was taken.

May 21, 2:30 a.m. – Officers observed an elderly man walking in the middle of Manhattan Beach Boulevard, adjacent to the Facilities Building. The subject was almost hit by a passing vehicle. Officers detained the subject, pending further investigation. The non-student subject, spoke very little English and officers requested a Korean-speaking officer from Gardena Police Department to come and assist with translation. On arrival, the GPD officer said that the subject said that he did not know where he was and that he wanted to walk to Korea. Officers determined that the subject was not fit to care for himself and placed him in protective custody. He was transported to Harbor General Hospital for a 72-hour mental evaluation.

May 22, 12:12 p.m. – An Officer conducted a records check on a license plate for a vehicle in Lot D. The records showed a $5,000 warrant issued out of the Compton Courthouse for a previous speeding violation. The officer conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle on Manhattan Beach Boulevard adjacent to Lot D. The driver, a female non-student, told the officer she wasn’t able tot take care of the warrant yet. The officer issued her a citation and she was released. A report was taken.