Police Beat April 12 – April 16

April 12, 8:24 p.m. An officer responded to the P.E. North Building regarding a vandalism report. According to the report, someone had tipped over one of the vending machines and took some of the products. The officer lifted the vending machine back up and closed the security gate to prevent further theft. The vending machine company was contacted and they arrived to repair the machine.

April 13, 2:35 p.m. An officer responded to the police lobby regarding a theft report. A female student said that someone stole her cell phone on campus. According to the report, she said she last saw her phone after she left class with a group of friends. A report was taken.

April 13, 8:10 p.m. An officer responded to Art Room #125 regarding a medical call for a male student who had sliced the area between his left thumb and index finger with an X-Acto knife. The student refused to be transported to the hospital, so an officer provided first aid to the student’s wound.

April 14, 9:25 a.m. Officers responded to the south patio of the Student Activities Center regarding a male, who was not a student, walking with a small pocket knife. According to the report, the male had also been seen in the library and was asked to leave by staff. Once officers located the man he was ordered to drop the knife and he told officers that he was feeling suicidal and that he had been hearing voices. The report also said the man never made any threats to anyone he was just walking around with the knife in his hand. He was transported to a local hospital for a 72-hour psychological evaluation.

April 15, 3:44 p.m. Officers responded to a suspicious circumstances call near the tennis courts where a female student reported seeing a female subject getting out of her car which was parked in Lot F. According to the report, when officers located the subject, she was in possession of the student’s car keys and was seen sitting in the driver’s seat. At first the subject said the car was hers and then later admitted that it wasn’t. In addition, the vehicle was moved from where the student originally parked it. The subject, who was also a student, was arrested for auto theft and was transported to Torrance PD.

April 16, 10:17 a.m. Officers responded to Administration Room 202 regarding a suspicious note that was left at that location. According to the report, the note was unclear and consisted of a lot of rambling. Along with that note, two more suspicious notes were found in the Special Resources Center with similar unclear ramblings. After an investigation officers were able to to identify the person, who was not a student, and served him with a trespassing notice.

April 16, 12:40 p.m. An officer responded to the police lobby regarding a hit-and-run report. According to the report, a female student said she parked her car in the lower Lot F earlier that morning and when she returned around noon she noticed her vehicle had been hit. She also said that her vehicle had been pushed about eight inches in the direction it was hit. In the report, it was mentioned that there are no surveillance cameras in lower Lot F.