Police Beat, Aug. 23-27

Aug. 27, 7:25 a.m. Officers responded to Lot L East regarding a traffic collision. A male student accidentally collided with a cement light post while attempting to park. The student was not injured, though his vehicle needed to be towed away. EC maintenance workers will determine if the cement post will need to be repaired.

Aug. 26. Officers responded to the North Gym regarding a medical aid call. A female student on the basketball team was participating in a practice when she was accidentally struck by a teammate. The student did not lose consciousness, but complained of neck pain. Paramedics were notified, arrived, and transported the student to an area hospital for treatment.

Aug. 26, 2:40 p.m. While a police cadet was issuing a citation to a car parked in the Lot J staff parking lot, the cadet noticed a dog locked inside the vehicle. The cadet called for a police officer. When the owners of the car and dog, a male and female subject, returned to their car, they were issued citations for both parking in the staff lot, as well as for animal endangerment for leaving the dog unattended and confined in a motor vehicle.

Aug. 26, 7:05 a.m. Officers responded to the intersection of Crenshaw Boulevard and El Camino College Way for a traffic collision call. A male non-student was traveling south on Crenshaw Boulevard on a moped when a vehicle traveling north on El Camino College Way turned directly in front of the oncoming moped. The driver of the moped swerved and leapt off the moped in order to avoid hitting the car, driven by a female student, and sustained minor injuries. The moped driver refused paramedic transport, while the student was unharmed.

Aug. 25, 6:15 p.m. Officers received a theft report. A female student sitting on a planter in the Art Building patio left a wallet beside her while making a phone call. When she finished her call, she noticed her wallet was missing.

Aug. 25. Officers responded to the east side of the Communications Building for a medical aid call. A female student was walking down the south-east stairwell when she twisted her left ankle. The student refused refused to have paramedics respond, and a police cadet escorted her to the Health Office on a golf cart.

Aug. 23, 7:30 a.m. A female student flagged down a police cadet in Parking Lot A North, and reported being followed by a male subject. Officers located the subject walking southbound on Crenshaw Boulevard, just south of Redondo Beach Boulevard. Police officers detained and questioned the subject, who admitted to walking near the girl, but claimed he had not been following her. The subject complained to the officers of suffering from the symptoms of several mental illnesses, as well as thoughts of killing himself, and asked to be checked into a hospital. The police called for paramedics, and the man was transported to an area hospital for evaluation.