Do not put our future in the hands of them

Illustration by Eugene Chang

Rate my professor is every students’ open diary where they are allowed to vent and express their thoughts on their professors. To professors, that is all it is: a diary. Just how would their teaching methods change if they were to be told that they are working for a grade? Would the professors who arrive with frowns on their faces resort to a stoic expression? Would the ones who arrive to their jobs, only to bully students to soothe their souls panic?

As students who rely on a website that is trivial to professors, we should be allowed to grade our own professors, and have it mean something. There are several subjects that are taught on campus, with many professors there to instruct them, each with their own teaching methods and means of communication.

Each professor has their own agenda as far as their classes go. Some may be conducive to the success of students, and others may not. These are the things that should be brought out of the dark for schools to take notice of. If one class is close to failing because a professor does a poor job instructing the class, the students are the ones who suffer in the end. It is their grades that will be considered when applying to different universities for transfer. There will be no excuses. Universities will not care why we received the grades that we did or the explanation behind it.

Sure, most of the work done may be results of our own performances, but to say that even a slight bit of our grade and future is in the hands of our instructors is quite laughable. We work our whole lives to get to where we are, only for one person to destroy what we have built and dictate our futures. As a result, it affects our overall morale and outlook on life and makes us feel like success is something we will not be seeing anytime soon, thus creating the accidental quitters of the world who never knew the differences they could have made in this world and are left with nothing but what ifs.

Perhaps drop out rates would also decrease if we were allowed to grade our professors. Perhaps we would see a higher number of resignations in faculty because of this, resulting in the weeds being pulled from our garden. Passions would be spared and diligence would not cease to exist.

Professors are becoming the new authorities of the world who abuse their leverage. Police are no longer the only ones we fear. It is with deep regret that we say to professors: We bid farewell, and in hostile acquiescence surrender our futures, to you.