The goal is closer than you think

Illustration by Eugene Chang

Updated: Wednesday, April 1, 2:10 p.m.

El Camino College is known for its vast number of students, but what are their primary motives and goals. The top answer, unfortunately, is not “transferring.”

According to its own website, EC is ranked 8th and 9th out of 112 California Community Colleges for transferring students to CSU and UC, respectively. Though this is an impressive rank, the actual number might seem a little underwhelming. EC currently has 23,000 students and in the year of 2010 to 2011, a total of 1558 students transferred to CSU and UC, according to the California Postsecondary Education Commission.

Hypothesizing that we had about the same number of students now in the year of 2010 to 2011, a mere 7 percent of students transferred to major four year universities. A number of reasons to this meager number pops up in the mind quick.

We’ve all seen those former classmates who are currently “taking a break” from school. The break usually ends up as a permanent end to school life, leading to them working a full-time job. The reasoning behind this is various. Family problems, financial problems, and maybe even the simple carelessness to their own school career. It is a shame when this happens, especially when transferring to a four year university is possible within the minimum of two years.

If you take 15 units a semester four times, that will end up with 60 units, which is the minimum requirement for transferring to both CSU and UC. 15 units is a realistically achievable number, if the student has the dedication to take four to five classes during a semester. Continue that for two years, or four semesters, and you are all set to transfer.

As easy as it sounds, it is not equally so for all students. Taking four to five classes may be a hassle to their time and money, especially for those who have to work part-time. This forced minimal attention to school is one of the reason for the delayed transfer for some students.

When we are ranked 8th and 9th out of 112 community colleges, why is the number of students transferring less than 10 percent? It is such a shame to give up on school when it is proven that we are one of the best in California when it comes to transferring.

Transferring to the four year universities should be the first goal of every student’s academic path, as it sets stone for the real deal. However, it is understandable that the first goal requires effort. A complete focus to school for four semesters is not impossible, but difficult.

The Union strongly encourages to hold on and not to give up, because the goal is a lot closer than you think it is.