A spring break reflection

I spent my entire spring break at work.

While most people I know were off enjoying beach days and shopping in the mall, I began a new position at work that sucked up all my time.

Because of that new job, I had no time for studying or completing any of the tasks I set for myself. I spent every single day last week at work, and by the time I got home each night, my brain shut down, and I was too exhausted to do much of anything else except tumble into bed and sleep before work the next day.

I went into spring break with such great plans. I was going to spend time studying for an upcoming math exam. I was going to finally get my room as clean as I want it to be. I was going to finally clean out that closet in the hallway that has gotten a little out of control and become something of a safety hazard when the door is opened.

I am often warned of little things getting in the way of plans I’ve made, but I have always ignored those warnings, and this time, that ignorance came at a price.

I am ill-prepared for my math exam, and I spent time on Sunday night scrambling around trying to get all of my assignments that were due this week done on time.

There is not much I can do about the demands at work. I have a set of tasks that I have to do when I am there no matter what, and because I have accepted the new position, I have to see it through.

It can be hard to find a balance when juggling the demands of school and a part-time job. The key to being successful is planning ahead.

Make time for the things that matter. When you know your work schedule ahead of time, it is easy to plan your free time around studies and family obligations if necessary.

If you know that you are going to be exhausted when you come home from work, why not tackle some of the tougher assignments and tasks before going into work? That way, when you come home, you can relax instead of stressing out about all the other things that need to be done.

Don’t overload or overbook yourself. If you know you have a test coming up, see about getting a few extra hours off from work to study for it.

If that is not possible, maximize your commute and your breaks; use that time to run drills and study the material you need to know for class.

When a school break such as the one we just had comes up, instead of using the free time during the day to hang out or work extra hours, consider using that time to catch up on schoolwork.

If this is going to impede on your social life, consider having a study date with your friends. Make a game of it and quiz or test each other on the information learned in class thus far. Spring break typically marks the midpoint of the semester, so there is plenty of information to choose from.

Build up a reward system to motivate you to get your studying done. Go ahead and watch that episode of “House of Cards” once you’ve finished all your math homework. Go out for that ice cream cone when you’ve finished your essay for English 1B.

Remember that the biggest impediments to your success are you and your willpower.

Plan accordingly.