Campus Viewpoints: Is it good to raise the smoking age to 21?

“The Union” went around campus asking students the question “Is it good for California to raise the legal smoking age to 21?”, and here were some responses from those interviewed.

Rachel Hardie.JPG

Rachel Hardie, 21, history major: “I think it’s good because at 18 it might be just peer pressure and it is because ‘it looks cool,’ (however), with age they will gain more wisdom and understanding, so they might want to think about their decision more.”

Elliot Maldonado.JPG

Elliot Maldonado, 21, computer science major: “I actually think it’s a good thing because when I was in high school a lot of people were smoking at a really young age just because their friends. Obviously smoking is bad for your health and it takes days off (your life) every time you smoke.”

Katreka Gaines.JPG

Katreka Gaines, 33, cosmetology major: “I totally agree because I think a person who decides to smoke should be grown enough to buy cigarettes. I don’t think it’s OK for minor kids to buy cigarettes, so it’s should be the same age for alcohol.”

Freddy Cruz.JPG

Freddy Cruz, 24, computer science major: “I would say it’s a good thing because even some kids start an early age and (this new law) will prevent more kids from smoking, but it will also lead to a bad thing because either way kids will find a way to buy cigarettes or vapes.”

Stormy Thomas.JPG

Stormy Thomas, 22, sociology major: “I don’t think it really matters because if kids see their parents (smoking) they’re still going to do it no matter what.”