Campus Viewpoints: Should the legal drinking age be lowered to 18?

Fatima Maldonado

Fatima Maldonado, 25, psychology major

“I think the age should not be drop because is limiting us in amount of young adults to drink and it also prohibiting car accidents, it’s prohibiting deaths, so if they drop it to 18 the numbers are going to increase and it’s going to be more the amount of deaths among young.”

Nicholas Herron

Nicholas Herron, 20, communication major

“It should not be drop because when it comes to young adults some of them are very immature and they misuse the alcohol and they hurt other people, while doing things like drinking and driving.”

Adriana Araque

Adriana Araque, 24, business major

“I think if they drink to an early age they will be more responsible. When you 21 you just want get crazy and get drunk, so I think if they start early they should be more responsible with the drinking.”

Carlos Caceves

Carlos Caceves, 19. political science major

“I think it should stay the same as it is right now because at 18 you are still a teenager and you are careless to make those decisions. It was already legal (to drink at the of 18) but they moved it to 21 because of the many consequences that they had.”

Rosalinda Baires

Rosalinda Baires, 19, political science major

“I don’t think it should be drop because I feel like people should be able to handle their alcohol, so 21 is already like party age and I think when you’re 18 you are graduating from high school or starting college.I think this restrictions are kind of put it into place to protect everyone not only the person who’s drink but people around them.”