Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I am the Public Relations Officer of El Camino College and I am writing you in regards to the recent article about gang rivalry on campus. As a student and an Executive member of El Camino, I am outraged by the portrayal of the article. It was in bad taste and whoever allowed that article to be depicted in that manner was irresponsible.

I want to inform you of an incident that a debate member had shared with me. They had a debate tournament here that weekend. Every time there is a debate the teams exchange newspapers to see what’s going on each others schools. The minute the papers were exchanged, there was talked about how El Camino was an unsafe school, and how they were not interested in visiting our school again as long as these circumstances were going on.

Another reason why this article making front page really upset me was for the fact that my name was on the front page also, in another article.

I am ashamed to have my name in print on the same page as that article. Not only that, you glorified the conflict as well. Also, you printed the word “nigger”, you offended me in a personal manner.

The purpose of this letter is to let you know that I am unhappy about the view point that the article was written. In addition, I want to let you that by your negligence as an editor, you harmed the positive idea that the students had of our campus. As an editor of the school paper, I would expect that shehe has a certain amount of knowledge about what is appropriate to put in a student newspaper.

I understand that the students have a right to know what kinds of problems are occurring on campus, but the way that the Union portrayed the article was completely unsatisfactory.

Thank you,

Candace Allen, Public Relations Officer

Dear Editor:

I am writing to express my displeasure over the play that was performed at this college last week. I have always enjoyed the presentations of the drama department and I have invited my ESL students to attend the free preview showing.

Last night’s student directed One Act Plays got off to an excellent start with “Glory in the Flower,” and “The Ugly Duckling.” The third play, “Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All,” was described as a black comedy. I was expecting a satiric look at the abuses of Catholic schools in the past.

What I was not expecting was a hour long diatribe against not only Catholic doctrines but the beliefs of all Christians and even of all who believe in God. A number of people in the audience got up and walked out when the play depicted a Christmas pageant which ended with a mocking crucifixion of a doll representing Jesus on a cross. The actors pounded nails into the doll and then held up a crucified baby, later ripping it down. If I had not had a group of students with me, I would have walked out also, but I felt trapped.

I understand that drama is meant to challenge and sometimes shock. I can not imagine insulting any other religion the way this play insulted the Christian religion.

Evelyn Uyemura, Instructor of ESL, Humanities Division

Editor’s note: In succeeding performances, theater director Ron Scarlata warned audiences about the content of the third play.
All letters to the editor must be signed