Editorials

Union workers band together for benefits

Would that be paper or plastic? Has anyone been asked that question in these past six days? How about the buses here? What about those people who have to take the bus to work or school?

Throughout Southern California almost wherever anyone looks there is a strike about something. Though we are affected by these strikes, we are not as involved as the strikers are. We as a society can’t function without these people who are on strike.

The strikers for the grocery shops want to keep their pension; they do not want their benefits to be cut 50 percent. These people work 30-40 hours a week; they check our groceries, pack the meat, the people who restock the shelves. Since these people work 30 hours a week, they deserve to have their benefits. They don’t need their pension to be cut.

MTA’s issue is for their mechanics. A lot of people take the bus and it would be great to know that the engines are working well, especially when the bus is out on the street. They want an increase in their salary and to maintain benefits for their job, which they rightfully deserve.

These people serve us on a daily basis, so the management should give them what they want.

Fine arts students maintains their craft

Following the faculty art show, the Fine Arts Division has a lot of different events going on, like the “Time Out of Mind” exhibit and this weekend’s Student One-Act Plays.

The Fine Arts Division has a lot of hard-working and experienced staff members who help maintain the reputation and quality of displays and performances of staff and students.

The division can still afford to put on a performance like the Student One-Act Plays for theater students to practice what they learn in class: that is, to direct and to act. It still focuses on the benefits of the students, rather than just cutting off everything in order to cut expenses.

The division also invites successful musicians, and dancers to perform for both the students that go to EC and for the public. They have a program named “Travel Adventure Cinema Series” that goes on through the semester. They show short movies of the scenery and explain the historical sites of different countries and they have a movie for Route 66 this week. There is a wide variety of performances go on at Marsee Auditorium almost every week.

All of these need support, even with the budget cuts, it is obvious that the Fine Arts Division is doing a good job and is still strong.