El Camino records fifth armed robbery of the semester

UPDATE: Nov. 6 9:15 p.m., El Camino police chief Michael Trevis adds insight to story.

Over a day after the arrest of a suspect allegedly linked to two armed robberies at the beginning of the semester, a non-El Camino student was the victim of the fifth reported armed robbery at approx. 8 p.m. on Nov. 1, according to the campus advisory from ECPD.

The man said he was walking on Manhattan Beach Boulevard near EC’s Facilities Building when a dark-gray Toyota pickup truck pulled alongside him and a suspect rolled down the tinted window and pointed a handgun at him, according to the advisory.

El Camino police chief Michael Trevis said, in an email, that he has asked the Sheriff’s Department and Highway Patrol to help ECPD in the investigation.

The area of the crimes are in the county jurisdiction, but due to the fact that all of the crimes happened on the curb closest to the college, ECPD will be taking lead, Trevis added in the email.

The suspect is a 20-25-year-old Hispanic male, which makes him the first non-African-American suspect, and wore a red hat and robbed the victim of his cell phone and wallet, according to the advisory.

This robbery marks the fifth one to occur on or near EC’s campus during the fall semester, all have happened on Manhattan Beach Boulevard, the previous robberies occurred as follows:

Campus Police are asking that if anybody has any information, they call 310-660-3100 immediately.