El Camino newspaper, magazine and literary journal receive awards at national conference

Staff writers, editors and photographers pose with the Oct. 13 issue of “The Union” on Oct. 26. The Oct. 13 issue won fourth place for Best in Show for two-year colleges at the Associated Collegiate Press conference in Washington DC on Oct. 23. Photo courtesy of “The Union” adviser Stefanie Frith.

El Camino’s student-run journalism programs won awards at the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) National College Media Convention on Oct. 23 in Washington, D.C.

Reporters and advisers from “The Union” newspaper attended the conference and won fourth place in the two-year school category for their most recent issue, while the website took seventh place.

ACP is a non-profit educational association that hosts national events and competitions which unite journalism students, advisors and professionals to “educate and recognize the work of student journalists,” according to the ACP website.

General-interest magazine wins fifth:

Warrior Life, the school’s general-interest magazine, won fifth place in the entire country.

“When I first heard that Warrior Life placed fifth nationally, I thought that was really awesome,” Sydnie Mills, 21, journalism major and former editor-in-chief of “The Union” and Warrior Life, said. “I was just happy because our staff put in so much time and effort into (that) issue.”

Similarly, Peter Marcoux, English professor and adviser for The Myriad, which won ninth play in the country for literary magazine, was very proud after hearing about EC winning the awards.

“We won ninth place in ‘Best in Show’ and it was nice because it wasn’t only community colleges, but it was four-year schools as well,” Marcoux said.

Marcoux gave credit for the award to the hard working students involved in putting it together.

“I thank the student editors first of all, they’re the ones who did the most work, as well as the student designers and the art teacher who helped the student designers,” Marcoux said.

Phil Sidavong, 22, English major and current editor-in-chief of “The Union,” was also very satisfied with the outcome of the Washington DC trip.

“I really want to thank all the new writers who put in work and effort, especially Christina Lyon, who jumped into being copyeditor and helped us out a lot so we didn’t have that many errors,” Sidavong said.

The winners of each category were announced on Sunday, Oct. 23, according to the ACP list of winners.

2016 ACP Awards won by El Camino:

• Best Newspaper for a Two-year college: No. 4 “The Union” El Camino, Torrance, California.
  • Best Feature Magazine: No. 5 “The Warrior Life” El Camino, Torrance, California.
  • Best Website for large school: No. 7 “The Union” El Camino, Torrance, California.
  • Best literary Magazine: No. 9 “Myriad” El Camino, Torrance, California.