EC fair provides free entertainment and fun for all students

El Camino students and staff come out to support the ASB Awareness Faire on the Library Lawn on Thursday, Oct. 27 Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

El Camino hosted its annual ASB fair on Thursday on the Library Lawn, providing free food, drinks and other prizes to all students who attended.

The Library Lawn was filled with students exploring the vendor booths and looking at what kind of discounts an ASB Sticker holder can get from places like Jersey Mikes Subs, Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain and more.

The ASB Club was giving away free doughnuts and water to those attending, and also hosted a raffle for students to win prizes like tickets to AMC movie theatre and Knott’s Berry Farm.

ASB Awareness Faire
The sidewalk by El Camino Library becomes busy with students enquiring about the benefits of having an ASB sticker. Thursday, Oct. 27. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

Justin Zuniga, 18, business and film major, attended the fair to get discounts on places like Knott’s Berry Farm and the Queen Mary.

“I would highly recommend buying stuff here with your ASB Sticker because it’s just cheaper, the ‘Knott’s Berry Farm’ tickets were like $30 less,” Zuniga said. “My favorite booth was the ‘Puente Club Booth’ selling cookies and flowers there for the holidays.”

The attendant at the Puente Club Booth, Barbara Jimenez , 20, administration of justice major and Puente Club president, wanted to raise awareness of the celebration of “Dia de Los Muertos,” which translates to “Day of the Dead” in Spanish.

“We are having a fundraiser, so we are selling cookies and we have a poster board about historical facts about ‘Day of the Dead,'” Jimenez said. “We are celebrating the lives of those who are departed.”

The ASB booth was at the fair to help students like Martin Sandoval, 18, electrical engineering major, who was in search of information regarding the gym, student services and the benefits of having an ASB Sticker.

ASB Awareness Faire
Jose Gonzales, 19, undecided major, expresses interest in buying an ASB sticker. Free coffee supplied by Financial Aid on Oct. 27. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

“I would come back again … to come by and smell the doughnuts,” Sandoval said. “The people are really welcoming.”

ASB adviser, event organizer and promotions specialist Lawrence Moreno, worked with vendors to line up booth participation and recruited vendors from the San Diego Sea World, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Queen Mary, Mary Kay Cosmetics, the Stopbye Café and long time vendor and ASB supporter Stella Grafx.

“It’s always fun, especially when you’re getting something for free and that’s what we’re doing today by giving away water, coffee and doughnuts,” Moreno said.