Thief breaks into ATM at Schauerman Library

An unknown number of suspects broke into Schauerman Library and accessed the ATM machine and stole an unknown amount of money some time between Sunday night and Monday morning. The entire ATM was destroyed on the left side. Photo credit: Shontel Leake

The ATM located on the first floor of the Schauerman Library was broken into between 11 p.m. on Sunday night and 4:10 a.m. on Monday morning, El Camino’s chief of police said.

“The suspect (or suspects, currently unknown,) broke a glass window on the north side of the library,” ECPD chief Michael Trevis said. “Once inside, (they) broke into the ATM machine.”

The amount of money stolen is unknown by the police and there is no timetable for when the ATM will be back in service.

Library Media Technician Cindy Lopez came into work today and found out it was a robbery, but declined to say anything further until campus police gives her the OK to talk.

El Camino police referred all questions to Community Relations Director Ann Garten’s office.

The police are checking the camera systems for more leads, Trevis added.