Board of trustees puts $350,000 towards campus Wi-Fi issues at their meeting

From students taking to Twitter and Yik Yak talking about “bunk a** wifi” on campus, to the struggle of looking for decent signal, Wi-Fi has been a concern for El Camino students and faculty since fall 2015.

But at Monday’s board of trustees meeting, board president Ken Brown talked about an agenda item that is in motion with hopes of addressing the issues.

“We’re spending about $350,000 on the problems, and that’s significant,” Brown said. “But it shows that we’re working toward (making the problems dissipate).”

To fix the issues, a new Chief Technology Officer last semester, and things seemed to have not been moving along, considering a member of the public, William (who declined to give his last name) said that he’s been continually disappointed with the efforts to make Wi-Fi on campus better.

“It’s been two years of problems with the online mail system (and Wi-Fi), and the people who were hired to make the changes, haven’t done anything,” he said. “We can’t even get the school to sign the SSL certificate to make online security better.

He added that it would be simple to take information from the (currently) weak security.

But with Monday’s events, he agreed with the board president that the school is on the right path.

Vice President of Administrative Services, Jo Ann Higdon said that the attempts to fix everything, with the $350,000, are more concerned with the “end of life” of the current infrastructure of the technology.

The next board of trustees meeting will be on June 20, at 4 p.m. in the Board Room (next to the President’s Office).