Two students charged with disruption on school grounds; were arrested with replica gun on campus

Two El Camino students were charged with disruption on college/school grounds, after bringing a replica MP5 subamchine gun on campus and aiming it near the child development center, El Camino Police Chief Michael Trevis said.

On Tuesday, three male students were detained by officers after a third-party student reported that he saw a gun being shown in the Lot L parking lot.

El Camino police sent out a Nixle alert at 9:59 a.m. on Tuesday to stay clear of the Lot L, because of the danger of the gun, and then sent out an all-clear Nixle at 10:05 a.m. that same day.

Because officers were in the area, the situation was quickly handled and although three students were detained, only two were arrested and charged with disruption, because the third student did not partake in the situation, Trevis said.

This is not the first time someone has been on campus with a replica gun.

On Jan. 22, 2015, a student brought a fake gun on campus and told police he had a hostage in Lot F and that day ended with the suspect being shot by El Camino police officers.

Things didn’t turn out the same way as on Jan. 22 and there were no threats against anyone, but the students will still be charged and have a court date on Tuesday, Sept. 20, Trevis said in an email.