Police Beat Jan. 19 – Jan. 25

Jan. 19, 2:13 p.m. A police officer on patrol was flagged down by a student who saw a man passed out near the bushes by the Chemistry Building. The officer woke the man up who smelled of alcohol. The man who is not a student was arrested for public intoxication.

Jan. 19, 4:30 p.m. A student who left her cell phone unattended in the EOPS office went to the police station to report that her phone was stolen. The student told an officer that she left her phone on a desk and when she returned a few minutes later it was gone.

Jan. 19, 6:10 p.m. A vehicle in Lot L was burglarized after a student locked his car and went to class. The student told an officer that he made sure that his vehicle was locked before he went to class. There were no signs of forced entry and security cameras did not record the incident.

Jan. 20, 3:48 p.m. An officer on patrol observed a man soliciting information from a female student. The man was holding a clip board and had a table set up on the pathway. When the officer asked the man to identify himself, the man attempted to walk away from the officer. The man, who had six traffic warrants, was arrested for obstructing a peace officer and the traffic warrants. The solicitor did not have approval from the Student Development Office to solicit on campus.

Jan. 21, 7:15 p.m. An intoxicated student in the MBA Building was arrested for possession of alcohol and possession of a controlled substance. The student told the officer that he was drinking earlier in the day. The student was also in possession of two unopened beer cans and various pills. Officers transported the student to Torrance Police for booking.

Jan. 21, 10:28 p.m. A student who parked his vehicle in Lot L returned after class to find his vehicle broken into. There were no signs of forced entry and nothing was taken from the vehicle.