Former El Camino student dies on campus

A former El Camino student died by suicide after jumping to his death from Lot H hours before his birthday on Friday night, according to an email sent out by campus officials.

El Camino police discovered the body of the former student on Saturday morning at 1:48 a.m.

Coroner officials later identified the former student as Porchua Vang, 22 of Torrance. Vang would have been 23 years old on Saturday.

Vang last attended EC in 2013, but was not currently enrolled in classes when he died, EC psychologist Jan Schaeffer said.

According to a gofundme account set up after Vang’s death, his sisters came home at 11:38 p.m. on Friday and found his room empty and a letter left open on his laptop.

“I am sorry for this. Nobody is to be blamed for what happened but myself. This is where I belong, this I knew I’ve always felt out of place here in this world. I hope you will all forgive me,” Vang wrote in the note.

Vang wrote that he wanted the money his mother saved for him to be used for her to buy a house or towards his funeral.

Schaeffer strongly urges people who are distraught or distressed to talk to someone and seek help immediately.

Free mental heath services are available on campus for students, staff and faculty at the student Health Center. One can request these services by calling the Health Center or walking into the center.

If you or some you know is having problems with their mental health, it’s important for that person to get help as soon as possible, Schaeffer said.

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 4.19.03 PM.png

Update: Nov. 3, 7:48 p.m. The story was updated for clarity.