Science club shows face at Annual South Bay Gem and Mineral Show

Rocks, minerals and gems were on display at the South Bay Lapidary & Mineral Society’s gem show at the Torrance Community Center on March 28 and 29. El Camino geology majors helped staff the event. Donations collected at the show went toward the Wally Ford Scholarship Fund, which benefits El Camino students. Photo credit: John Fordiani

El Camino’s Science Club had a booth at the Annual South Bay Gem and Mineral Show, on March 28 and 29.

The booth was for students to try and acquire donations for more trips as a club and even scholarships.

“Our trips cost money, and this may not be about the money, but we have to try and make something,” Josh Sabels, 19, biology major, said.

Several pictures of the students and each location were laid out on the table, along with some items they picked up at some of the sites and right in the middle was a little donation jar, in the form of a skull.

“How do you explain how big the Grand Canyon is to your kid?” He said, “These are trips of a lifetime.”

There is a major connection between the community and college as far as the science club and gem show is concerned, Joe Holliday, professor and adviser of the club, said.

President of the Science Club, Breanna Brown, 27, geology major, said that this was her third Gem and Mineral Show and really liked this year’s turn up.

“I really like this Kid’s Zone addition, because kids can come and make arts and hang out here, while the parents can go enjoy themselves,” Brown said.

“We help the community set up this show, we have 20 geology majors who help set up and put away the show itself. In return we are given a check from some of the proceeds to go towards scholarships for our students,” Holliday said.

The scholarship that the money goes to is the Wally Ford Scholarship, Holliday said. This year’s donation to the scholarship funding was $2000.