Spring applications up

Although admissions applications filed for spring 2004 are up more than 8,000, it does not appear to have an impact on the actual campus enrollment.

Registration priorities commonly go first to continuing students; returning students and new applicants find it difficult to acquire the classes of their choice.

“With less sections being offered, more students are going into classes and trying to add,” director of admissions Bill Mulrooney said.

In addition, Mulrooney said it is becoming very competitive to get the classes students need and some instructors drop students who miss the first day, filling those vacancies with students trying to add.

“There were some classes that I needed to show up four times before I could get added,” political science major Matt Cortina said.

Although some instructors have reported having students sitting on the floor waiting for an available seat, athletic counselor and faculty coordinator for counseling Chris Jeffries said, “as long as there is a seat in the classroom, I hear most of the professors are taking students.”

However, Jeffries said that upon stopping by the Admissions Office, college president Thomas Fallo mentioned that 103 percent of the classroom seats were filled and there was still a line to add classes.

“We are not seeing the number of people add classes that we did in the fall and spring of 2003, and to me it is because those classes are fairly impacted,” Mulrooney said.

The number of students registered but not actively enrolled is down from 3,618 in the spring 2003 to 1,491 this spring.

“A lot of students are showing up for the first day and staying. There are not many people pulling out of classes,” Mulrooney said.

“I’m not sure exactly why, but people are getting a little more serious now.”

Furthermore, Mulrooney said with the economy starting to rise again, it is competitive in the real world and aspiring students are going back to school.

Nonetheless, the Admissions Office started accepting applications for the summer and fall semesters Monday.

Students may also email the counseling office at http://www.elcamino.edu.