Forensics start strong

Members of the forensics team went up against Cerritos Community College (CCC) and Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) over the winter break and continued the ir winning streak.

At Cerritos, the team participated in the Taborvenitsky Tournament and went up against many opponents. However South Orange County College (SOCC) was one of the toughest to compete against.

“SOCC is one of our biggest competitions,” senior member Corey Turpin said. “But we get along too; we’re buddies.”

Novice (first year) and Senior/Open (advanced) both won against SOCC taking first and second place.

“John Suzuki and Milad Hassani went to the final round for senior and took first place,” novice member Jason Ellefson said. “We won by a six to zero ratio.”

The novice team made up by Jason Ellefson and Corey Turpin won second place against SOCC by a five to one ratio.

“We won a division in the last two tournaments,” coach Mark Crossman said. “All the teams are winning.”

The Sunset Cliffs Tournament, which took place at PLNU was also a success for the team. The tournament, which is also known as “Bloodbath of the Beach,” pulled people from all over the country to watch the students debate. They took second place in the tournament for the community college division.

“This is the best time for it (winning) to happen because we’re going to the state and national competitions,” Crossman said.

Crossman predicts the team will be in the top 10 this year. Last year they ranked 9th in the nation.

“I think they’ll have a good year,” Crossman said.