Students gear up for Super Sunday

This Sunday, millions of people will be tuning in to watch the defending Super Bowl champs, the Seattle Seahawks take on the New England Patriots. As media week continues in Glendale, Arizona, the location of this year’s Super Bowl, millions of people around the world are slowly waiting in anticipation for the big game.

From kickoff to the Katy Perry led halftime show, everyone has a reason to watch the Super Bowl, even if you’re not a football fan people come together to watch the big game for various reasons.

The Union went around campus asking students their take on the Super Bowl and asked questions ranging from “Who do you think will win?” to “Are you planning anything for the Super Bowl?’.

About forty students were asked on campus who they believe will win the big game and the tally came out as the Seattle Seahawks being the heavy favorite to win the game by a tally of twenty-six students to fourteen believing the Patriots will prevail.

While questioning the students on campus about Super Sunday, we received mixed feelings about the game. Whether it’s a student still recovering from their team losing in the playoffs to people who have never even heard of the Super Bowl.

“I don’t care who wins anymore because my Packers didn’t make it,” Kaileen Taylor, 20, Political Science, said.

The students were also asked if they have any plans for the big game, a wide variety of answers were given from people just watching the Super Bowl at home to people getting ready for beers and wings at a friends’ house.

Kevin Lydon, 19, undeclared major said, “I plan on eating chips and guacamole while drinking a cold one.”

Even students who have work on Sunday still plan to watch the big game at their work. Many businesses such as bars and restaurants are expecting heavy traffic going into this weekend.

“I’m working on Sunday but I plan on watching the game while I make deliveries,” Ty Jiyarom, 20, Aeronautics major said.

One of the most popular reasons people watch the Super Bowl is not even the game itself but the unique and entertaining commercials the game brings to the table. Every year during the big game, millions, if not billions of dollars are put into advertisements because of the fact the Super Bowl is one of the most watched sporting events yearly.

The media frenzy that normally accompanies the Super Bowl will be at a standstill on Sunday come kickoff as the world watches and waits for the Lombardi trophy to be hoisted by the next champions.