Shoulders up, Chin at the perfect angle and heels down: Models get ready for upcoming fashion show

Elena Perez
Mykala Davis, 20, english and sign language major is a runner up model for the runway. It takes a lot of collaboration behind the scene between designer and model to complete creation for the Spring Fashion Show on May 6. Photo credit, Elena Perez Photo credit: Elena Perez

As soon as she steps on the runway she embraces everything around her; the people, the clothes she wears and the ambiance, Kina Eacon, 27, film and video major, does not let anything distract her whenever she is modeling.

Unlike Eacon, Crystal Canale, 30, volunteer, said she doesn’t look to the sides or pay attention to anyone, not even the photographers while she’s on the runway.

“The first time I was on a runway it was exhilarating and exciting,” Canale said. “I try not to think too much (while I’m modeling).”

Last Thursday, April 21, most of the models who will be participating in the fashion show this year showed up ready to learn and impress the committee in charge.

Adrian Vega, 25, fashion major, went to support the models and teach them the proper way to walk down the runway, he said.

“Be uniform in your walk,” Vega tells the group of young women who practice their walk various times in front of him.

Mina Kurome, 21, Danielle Levine, 21 and Kanako Kuno, 21, all fashion majors, are the three people in charge of the modeling practices and they just make sure everything is running smoothly.

During the practice, Levine told the women that each week they keep improving and that last Thursday was by far the best practice they have had.

The fashion show will take place in the Marsee Auditorium on May 6 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and will showcase different designers and models.

For some of the models it is their first time stepping on the runway.

For Canale, she does this every year and continues to come to EC to support the women trying to do a career in modeling.