Student development will have coordination under new director

Greg Toya poses in the Student Activities Center. Toya was recently hired as the new director of the Student Development Office to handle student issues and co-advise the student government. Photo credit: Claire Nitchman

A man will bring his knowledge, skills and experience to El Camino after working at many big-name schools like: UC Irvine, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and San Diego State.

A new Director of the Student Development Office was hired to help with all of these activities and his name is Greg Toya.

“I’m from Torrance, actually. Went to Torrance High.” Toya said. “Proud Tartar.”

Before coming back to Torrance, he went to UC Irvine and got his bachelor’s degree in sociology with an emphasis in psychology and human behavior. Following that, he decided to go teach English in Japan in the exchange teaching program (JET).

“It was a very fruitful experience for me. As a third-generation Japanese Okinawan American, to be able to go back to the homeland.” Toya said. “I learned a lot, it was one of those life-changing experiences.”

After that, he attended the University of Maryland College Park and obtained his master’s in counseling and personal services with a focus on student development and counseling.

Toya served as the Associate Dean of Students for nine years at Cal State San Marcos, which gave him the experience to prepare for the position here.

“I think his experience at previous colleges is his best quality.” adviser for the Inter-Club Council and Student Services Specialist Breanna von Stein said.

She added that Toya brings a lot of knowledge and strong leadership qualities that are needed in a manager’s position.

Coming to EC gave Toya a chance to shift his professional career to the community-college setting.

He looks to help students with, leadership skills and help them become successful in transferring and in their careers.

“My role is to partner with the faculty staff, and administrators to promote education and success inside and outside the classroom,” Toya said. “I want to build meaningful and significant experiences for students directly involved, in ASO, ICC, and even students in the student discipline process. It is all about learning and accountability.”

Even the students who are currently working with him have found him to be a pleasure to work with and ASO Vice President Stephanie Pedrahita really enjoys his ability and personality.

“Working with (Toya) has been great,” Pedrahita said. “Right off the bat he showed everyone his (positivity), his energy and his bubbly personality resonates greatly with the students.”

Toya’s days vary because student development is responsible for multiple areas. The fall is more focused on building up clubs and student government, while the spring will be more focused on commencement.

“I am fortunate to have the opportunity to lead a team of excellent professionals to further student learning and development.” Toya said.

“I look forward to continue working with faculty, staff, administrators, students and promoting student learning and success.”