STEM Center mentors future scientists and engineers

The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Center is located in the basement of the Natural Sciences Building. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Center is available to students enrolled in calculus-based majors, cost $3.4 million to create and was funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, according to a press release.

MESA provides academic support, financial resources and enrichment opportunities to students who plan to transfer to a four-year university in a calculus-based major,” Director Arturo Hernandez said.

The STEM Center has a computer lab with 21 stations, four group learning areas, four self-study areas, a lounge, three meeting rooms, three classrooms and four faculty offices.

At the center, students can begin to build a foundation in calculus and physics in order to comprehend complex mathematical computations for application in various fields after they graduate from a four-year university, Solomon Aragon, 19, engineering major, said.

“We try to work in groups because obviously if you try to learn calculus by yourself it’s less likely you’ll get it, than if you are in a group,” Aragon said.

Aragon, 19, is studying to become an aerospace engineer and wants to work at Boeing eventually.

Examples of fields that apply calculus include aerospace and chemical engineering, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Program works with “the educationally and financially disadvantaged” STEM students, and the STEM Center encourages students to enroll in the program if they are failing to meet transfer requirements to a four-year university, according to the El Camino College website.

Students need to meet these requirements to be eligible for MESA:

• · Enrollment in Intermediate Algebra, or above
  • · Declare a transfer major in a math or science-based field
  • · Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or above

The STEM Center also has scholarships and other resources available for math and science-based majors. “The El Camino College National Science Foundation Achievement in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Scholarship (ECC-NSF ASEMS)” is a five-year grant provided by the National Science Foundation and is awarded to STEM students for their academic achievement and is dependent upon their financial need, according to the El Camino College Mesa | SSS-STEM Newsletter.

The STEM Center is open from Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 5:45 p.m. and on Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. The STEM Center is located in the Natural Sciences Building basement.

Katheryn Smith, 26, is a chemical engineering major at the STEM Center.

“I really enjoy it,” Smith said. “We can rent textbooks and if you have to do homework they’ll just lend them to you.”