Socks and sandals make their stand for both fashion statements and lifestyle choices

Stand in front of Cafe Camino on any given day and within five minutes, you are sure to see it: sock-clad feet in Nike or Adidas sandals as fellow El Camino students makes their way to class.

The sandals, also known as slides, are popular for athletes to wear before and after games. The look has now been mainstreamed, and is making its way through casually coutured, working out with the sporty set, pit stopping at the accidentally fashionable, and lounging with the comfortably chic.

socksandsandals11.jpg

They have become a part of our standard uniform and socks and sandals are now spotted everywhere from the classroom to the post office to the bank and the grocery store.

We walked around campus and asked El Camino students the following questions: What are your thoughts on the socks and sandals trend?

Should non-athletes wear them?

This is what you had to say.

socksandsandals5.jpg

“I believe going out in (socks and) sandals is out of dress code, that is something to be at home,” Chris Gonzalez,18, business major, said.

“I just want to be comfortable at all times, I’ll be in sandals all day but I wouldn’t go without socks,” Gerardo Dugino, 19, business major, said.

“They were made for athletes. If you’re not an athlete, don’t wear them. It’s cool to wear them with socks,” Brandon Smith, 22, communication studies and radiology tech major, said.

socksandsandals1.jpg

“People should wear what they want,” Mason Uraga, 19, psychology major, said.

“(Sandals) are good for athletes. It is recommended to wear them before and after games,” Helena Jones-Caldwell, 21, psychology major, said. “It’s not good to keep our tennis shoes on because they can mess up our feet.” She added that non-athletes should not wear them since they aren’t athletes.

socksandsandals10.jpg

“I think students should wear them. Closed-toed shoes are painful and uncomfortable,” Jordan Hicks, 19, psychology major, said.

“It’s comfortable,” Marquis Mcneil, 20, business major, said.

“Shoes enclose your feet. When it’s hot, they’re fine.” Terrel Watson, 18, fire emergency tech major, said.

socksandsandals8.jpg