EC students comment on the dining services offered on campus

This is the Strawbana crepe from Common Grounds. According to a survey distributed in the end of October, this is the most popular crepe offered on campus. The crepe is filled with both strawberries and bananas. Additionally, it is filled with a choice of either caramel or Nutella. The crepe is topped with powder sugar, whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. Photo credit: John Fordiani

Stomachs growl as Thanksgiving nears. Some students take advantage of this food-centered season by visiting the dining services on campus; other students crank down on their studies, ignoring the growls from their ravenous stomachs.

“I noticed less customers around (the) holiday season,” Shaphir Macareno, cook at Common Grounds, said. “More students are focused on studying and worried about passing their exams.”

For students with time to appease the loud interjections from their stomachs, there are four eateries on campus: Common Grounds, Campus Deli, Café Camino and Manhattan.

Common Grounds, a convenience store and a quick-service restaurant, is located next to the Student Activities Center.

They sell both savory and sweet crepes. There is also an assortment of drinks for purchase, such as coffee, smoothies and boba. Their menu is wide-ranging including grilled sandwiches and quesadillas.

“My favorite dish to eat at the school is the Strawberry Love crepe from Common Grounds,” Jessica Cortez, 19, nursing major, said.

The Strawberry Love crepe is filled with strawberries and either Nutella or caramel. The crepe is topped with whipped cream, powder sugar and chocolate drizzle.

According to a survey distributed in the end of October by the Union, the Strawberry Love crepe is the second most popular crepe among EC students. The Strawbana crepe is the most popular.

Campus Deli is located in Art Building- North. Campus Deli sells a medley of different cuisines including Mexican, American and Greek; the menu consists of enchiladas, french fries and gyros, for example.

“Most of the students that come here usually buy the grab-and-go items, because they don’t have enough time to eat a full meal,” Nat Pis, cashier at Campus Deli, said.

Café Camino, cafeteria-like restaurant with outdoor seating, is located in the Humanities Mall, which is next to the Humanities Building. Some meat centric dishes available at Café Camino are the bacon double cheese and Philly cheesesteak.

“My favorite meal to eat is the western bacon burger from Café Camino,” Ryo Haro, 25, automotive major, said. “I dislike the asada burrito from Café Camino the most.”

Lastly, Manhattan, which has a menu with a lot of meals and beverages, is located next to the Campus Bookstore. It has a variety of drinks like ice blended coffee.

“Manhattan is the best place to eat,” Haro said. “They sell curry rice and have a variety of meals from pasta to meatball.”

However, some students do not enjoy the dishes offered on campus.

“I dislike the chicken tenders the most, because it’s so dry and disgusting (from Café Camino),” Cortez said.

The quick-service style restaurants on campus have a wide-assortment of foods. The prices vary, dividing students on the reasonableness of the amount.

“I think the dishes here at EC are at a reasonable price,” Cortez said.

However, the pricing at EC is not as attractive as surrounding restaurants, Haro said.

“Students could go to food places around the campus like Wasabi Sushiya across the street and get the same thing with more for cheaper,” Haro said.

Although all the dining services at EC have “A” ratings, other improvements can be made to help attract more customers to the dining services on campus.

“The food places here are only good for a few things, such as the chili cheese fries from the Campus Deli and crepes from Common Grounds,” Lewis Kingman, 24, psychology major, said. “Café Camino could improve on their main dishes like (the) breakfast burrito and stop charging students for napkins and forks.”