Drought workshop on campus aims to teach students about conservation

Reclaimed water is being used to upkeep greenery on campus. Photo credit: Lacy Westbrook

Rain has been a rare sight for Californians during this drought. It is common to see people wearing summer clothing and crowded beaches because of the dry, arid weather. The downside to a yearlong summer: We are currently in the driest and hottest year in California’s recorded history, according to the California Department of Water Resources’ website.

To help offset the severity of the drought, many workshops and public messages have been implemented to inform the public. At EC, the Horticulture and Environmental Club will be showcasing a drought workshop on Oct. 27 from 1 to 4 p.m.

Students can attend to learn how they can help with the drought.

“The workshop will primarily focus on landscape since we are a Horticulture Club but (also) giving the students extra tools for conservation,” Reginald Fagan, coordinator of the drought workshop, said.

The Horticulture and Environmental Club aims to provide students with tips to decrease water usage.

Examples include pouring leftover water onto plants, not letting the faucet run needlessly, and washing laundry in big loads rather than small loads, Fagan said.

EC has also modified its water usage habits to help with the drought. About five years ago, EC started using reclaimed water for greenery on campus.

Reclaimed water is used water that has been cleaned for reuse. This cuts down on the clean water used, which helps with the drought.

Besides reclaimed water, EC also invested in drought-tolerant plants and artificial turfs.

Additionally, there have been several renovations to the restrooms to decrease water usage.

Even though reclaimed water is being used, it is still expensive to upkeep the campus.

“Water has gone up (and) labor has gone up. In fact, more modern technology is more expensive to run,” Thomas Brown, director of facilities, said. “Case in point is our sprinkler systems. We have gotten more sophisticated where everything works on a time clock.”

The sprinkler system saves water; however, it is a more costly system to use than the traditional manual system.

“When you look at the dollars you may not be saving the money, but it is the right thing to do,” Brown said.

Students also observe the importance of lowering water usage during this drought.

“I’ve been trying to help by keeping my showers down to like five to six minutes, turning off the water when washing my hands, and other things like not watering my lawn everyday,” Larry Guevara, 19, biochemistry major, said.

Anthony Rhone, a member of the Horticulture and Environmental club, 20, English major, is also in charge of the drought workshop.

“Students should be more economic with their water usage,” Rhone said. “Just only taking what you need instead of just taking it for granted.”