Respect the sea: Tips For staying safe while at the beach

Friendly dolphins, swimming seals and beautiful seashells are the attractive things people see on the surface of the beach. Yet under the water, there is sea life that might leave their mark on people’s bodies and water conditions that could be hazardous.

As people spend endless hours on the beach through the summer months, Jeanne Bellemin, zoology professor, and Robin Bouse, geology and oceanography lecturer, shed some truth on common myths about the beach. They provided various tips to stay safe and a few conditions to be aware of while near the ocean.

“Because I am a zoologist, I can say things like don’t swim out too far and use sunscreen,” Bellemin said.

But there are a few other things to worry about at the beach besides the obvious such as a riptide pulling a person out to sea or a jellyfish leaving a painful sting.

While these things don’t necessarily happen everyday, they are possible.

“Beaches are meant to be fun,” Janelle Miller, 20 ,nursing major, said. “But we need to be careful and safe.”

Myth
Dead jellyfish will no longer sting people.

Truth
Jellyfish that appear to be dead can still shoot nematisis—harpoon-like spear into the human body, Bellemin said. It’s like an automatic response they still have.
No matter if the jellyfish is dead or alive, they will sting humans. So it is recommended by Bellemin to never touch a jellyfish. If one appears while swimming, don’t panic and therefore create turbulence in the water. Instead swim to shore, she said.
“I don’t think we have a huge problem out here,” Bellemin said. “I just recommend that if we have a jellyfish invasion to not swim because the poison could be enough to kill you.
Myth
Sharks are commonly found off the coast of the beaches frequented by most people.

Truth
Bouse said shark bites are very rare worldwide. Therefore, it isn’t common that a person will encounter a shark at the beach. But in the event of a shark appearance, it is said that if a person hits them on the nose, that is the most sensitive part of their body.
“I don’t believe in making people panic about sharks,” Bellemin said. “Obviously, our waters are not shark infested, but usually the sharks attacks that we have are often by great whites and you don’t know they are coming because they sneak up on you.”
Sometimes the wetsuit that surfer wear resembles an elephant seal, which is a shark’s favorite food, Bellemin said.
“Because you are at the surface, I would say don’t surf alone and don’t swim alone at the surface,” she added.

Myth
It is safe for humans to swim in the ocean after a big rain storm.

Truth
Actually, it is completely the opposite. Since big storms and rains tend to cause sewage back-up, which drains into the oceans, this causes bacteria levels to rise.
“It’s best not to swim after it rains,” Bouse said. “Because there are high bacteria content.”
But if a person must go swimming no matter what, it is best to go during low tide, Bouse said.
During this time of year, demoic acid is sometimes present in the water. While it doesn’t affect humans, it does have a counter effect on sea life because they of their consumption of fish.
“If you see wild life (sea life), a seal on the beach that is disoriented and spastic, don’t go near,” Bellemin said. “(Demoic acid) affects the center of their brain and therefore, the seal lion doesn’t know what it is doing. You can’t pet him. They will bite and that would be dangerous.”
Bellemin went on to say that demoic acid is not a threat to people because fish isn’t the only food in their diet.

Myth
A person cannot feel a riptide in the water.

Truth
While it takes getting used to what a riptide feels like, it is quite easy to know when a person is being taken over by one while swimming in the ocean.
Bellemin said that a person can feel a riptide if they are moving out more quickly than you intended. If that person is having a hard time getting back to shore, then they are facing a riptide.
“I guess the important thing to do is to not panic because the simple solution is if you move horizontal to the beach either down or up current, then you can get out of the riptide,” she said.
If riptides or currents are strong it is important to know where to swim.
“Look out for your surroundings and know there is a lifeguard on duty,” Bouse said. “Most importantly, know how to swim and know your limitations.”

Myth
If the weather is overcast, there is no need to apply sunscreen.

Truth
The sun’s rays are stronger on cloudy days and, therefore, people should apply sunscreen to their bodies no matter the weather.
“I also teach environmental biology,” Bellemin said. “So from that aspect, make sure you wear sunscreen, even during June gloom.”
People have the mentality that they will not get burned if the sun isn’t out, but the sun is always present.
“I think it’s the neglect that people assume it is okay (not to wear sunscreen),” she said. “The rays are there, it’s just that they are not visible.”