Students and faculty remember Professor Jolene Combs

Two years.

The average amount of time spent at EC by students   working on their future careers.

However, the impact and dedication that Jolene Combs, journalism professor, had on her students was enough to last them a lifetime.

With both her parents as journalists, Combs was born into the journalism profession.

She lived for journalism and spread that love and passion with her very own family, her husband and children who are also journalists.

Often asked how she knew journalism was  the career for her, her reply would be simple.

She didn’t choose journalism, but journalism chose her.

Combs died on July 13, 2011 at age 69, of an apparent heart attack while undergoing pneumonia treatment.

Her death was shocking not only to her family and friends, but to many of the people she inspired in the journalism field, including current and former students on the campus newspaper.

While a professor here, the Warwhoop, later renamed the Union, won three National Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards and 10 Regional Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards.

It was also won numerous Journalism Association of Community Colleges General Excellence Awards.

It was no secret that Combs lived for journalism and spread her passion for the journalism profession with everyone she came across.

Many of her students pursued a career in journalism and moved on to such publications as the Daily Breeze, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Washington Post and several TV networks.

“Jolene loved what she did and if she didn’t,  she sure was a good pretender. She instilled in me my love for journalism, Marcy Santana, reporter for the Herald Publications, said. “I loved writing, but she taught me how to love journalism.”

Even after retiring, Combs stayed at EC as professor emeritus helping advise both Union advisers Lori Medigovich and Kate McLaughlin.

“The thing for me about Jolene, was that she made it so much fun. She always took the time to see how I was doing and cared about my personal and professional life,” Medigovich said. “She really worked hard and cared about people. She was wonderful and she was a joy to work whether we were at work or hanging out, she was always a joy to be around.”

Some of her students went on to work for different publications and one student in particular returned to where her journalism career began, as a student in the journalism department.

Now a Union adviser and journalism instructor at EC, McLaughlin remembers working with Combs as a student and as a colleague.

“When things would hit the fan, she would smile and we would work through it all,” McLaughlin said. “She never lost her cool and said a positive can do attitude can do anything. She never dwelled in negativity and always marched forward.”

Although three years have passed since the last time he was a student of hers, Matt Lopez, former Editor-in-Chief of the Union still remembers many of Combs’ lessons.

“I remember I couldn’t spell separate and she would always get on me for that. I work for the Daily Breeze and in my first story I put the word separate and the next day she emailed me and said Thank god you spelled it right!” Lopez said.

Combs provided her students with the skills and  education needed to be successful in journalism; however, she also provided everyone with support and believed in their dreams as much as her students did themselves.

“She gave me the trust that I needed and believed in me. She made me feel like I was capable of anything,” Noraly Hernandez, reporter for the Herald Publications, said. “She was a motivator, and having her believe in me made me want to keep trying to succeed.”

Although Combs motivated and believed in many of the people she mentored, many agreed that she was not the type of person to give up on anyone.

“If you fell, and she was around, you better be able to spring back up. If you were lost, she would help you find your way back, Santana, former Warwhoop editor-in-chief, said. “She always saw the good in everything.

Combs was the type of person to give.

The time and dedication she had and gave her students was unparalled to anything else.

Hoping to keep her legacy alive, a scholarship has been establish by the Combs family in her memory to support the students who were an important part of her life.

It is all a mere reminder that EC has lost an important part of the journalism department.

However, the knowledge, memories and wisdom that Combs instilled in many will be lived through all the people she influenced and guided.

Professor Combs, will always be remembered.