Music enriches campus

Melodies from symphonies and sonatas played by saxophones, trumpets and violins can be heard throughout the Marsee Auditorium’s corridors. Jazz, opera, Latin and classical music flow from the practice rooms, sounds of dreams becoming reality with EC’s music programs.
It’s all music all the time, and EC offers students a variety of programs to prepare to perform and audition for the main stage as well as improve their musical skills and talents.
“Music is an art, and art is a form of self expression,” Dane Teter, director of instrumental music, said. “It is a very individual thing.”
As many students in the program work toward a music degree, some members of the community use the program to take part in concerts.
“I find the program to be extremely valuable,” Yilin Hsu Wentlandt, music major, said. “So many of our instructors are amazing teachers.”
Within the music program, there are two categories of performing ensembles; choral and instrumental.  The choral ensemble which includes a concert choir, a community choir, a woman’s choir and a chorale is made up of both students and community members. These groups rehearse together, learn vocal techniques and learn to read music. While the groups are involved in some off-campus events, they play regularly on campus.
“We have weekly performances, like mini concerts or recitals, as part of class,” Wentlandt said.
Performances take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Haag Recital Hall, which are open to the public as part of the Applied Music Program.
While the choral ensemble features voices, the instrumental ensemble consists of various instruments. The groups range from a concert band and a symphony orchestra, to a varsity band, a jazz band and smaller ensembles made up of brass instruments and percussion. These groups perform on campus and occasionally at community events.
Playing a variety of music, the concert band has auditioned and been accepted into Disneyland’s “Community Arts Showcase” over the past few years, which gives the band members a chance to perform in Carnation Plaza in front of a public audience.
“We have won many plaques for our performances there,” Teter said.
Another large instrumental ensemble is the symphony orchestra. There are three performances throughout the semester which feature student soloists.
This showcases the most talented students and allows them the opportunity to demonstrate their ability.
“It is a chance to get out there and put what you have on display,” Chris Craig, music major said. “It also helps you get over stage fright.”
The next performance will be on June 5, and is open to the public.
While the orchestra plays on campus, the jazz band takes the opportunity to play off-campus at community events.
“The program provides performing opportunities such as the Associated Student Body fair and Little Sisters of the Poor,” Kurt Festinger, lecturer of music, said. “It gives students the opportunity to gain expertise in jazz performance.”
Within these performing ensembles is the Applied Music. This program enables students to audition and study privately.
“We choose the most talented students for the number of seats available,” Teter said.
There are currently three sections of Applied Music, each section having a maximum of 30 students, Teter said.
Each week, the students receive a private music lesson along with recital instruction and an opportunity to participate with one of the large performing ensembles.
Teter added that the one-on-one instruction helps students with their technical skills and musicianship.
“A private lesson would cost roughly $60 to $100 a week,” Wentlandt said. “We are only paying $26 a unit.”
Aside from the performing ensembles, there are classes to learn how to make music, how to read music and understand the history and theory of music.
“Students take our music classes even if it’s not their major,” Teter said. “They want to learn something about music.”
Non-music majors along with students in the music programs have an opportunity to join the Society of Music. This club helps support the music community on campus and raise funds to purchase things needed in the music department.
“It is a really supportive group made up of empathetic and dedicated students,” Wentlandt said. “We help each other out.”
While the music department looks to keep these programs competitive and fun, it also brings the community together through music.
“Arts keep the community in community college,” Teter said.