Spring Break on a budget

After weeks of homework, studying for midterms, preparing for presentations and writing the longest research paper ever, a break is near. It is time to escape the daily grind, put studying aside and forget about deadlines. Alarm clocks will be switched off as students go on spring break.
Money is tight and that dream vacation may be out of reach, but spring break shouldn’t be spent doing nothing. Living in sunny California, home to beautiful beaches and warm weather, adventure awaits with fun activities to fit any budget.
“I need a break,” Kyle Munson, 19, business major said. “I want to have fun on little money.”
As many students plan for spring break, money is on their mind, but Auxiliary Service Benefits (ASB) is there to provide discounts to some major attractions through out southern California.  If you are looking to spend a day at a theme park, ASB has discounted tickets to Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Universal Studios Hollywood and many others in southern California.
ASB also has movie tickets at half price. It is time to hit the theater and catch up on all the box office hits you missed throughout the semester, including the new summer blockbusters.
Become a member of ASB for only $10 and students, faculty and alumni immediately start saving on tickets along with other activities. Sign up and purchase tickets at Marsee Auditorium or in the student development office of the Student Activities Building.
“These tickets are sold year round and save students a lot of money,” Lawrence Moreno, ASB coordinator said. “As an ASB member, you can buy as many tickets as you want at the discounted price.”
While many students want to spend the day on an amusement ride or at the movies, others are interested in getting some exercise.
The Strand starts at Torrance County Beach, continuing for miles through Hermosa Beach and ends in Will Rogers State Beach. The paved trail follows along the coast and is a place to bike, rollerblade or skateboard.
Another form of exercise is beach volleyball. Join the amateurs in a pick-up game of beach volleyball on one of the sand courts in Hermosa Beach.
“We are playing volleyball at the same court on Tuesdays and always looking for more people to join our game,” Jaime Carroll, Hermosa Beach resident and amateur volleyball player, said.
Some students on the other hand are looking for an outdoor adventure.  Matthew Amberg, 19, undecided major, is gearing up to hike through the mountains.
There are many hiking trails throughout all of southern California. There are plenty of day hikes with shorter trails in Griffith Park while longer trails are found in Angeles National Forest.
“Some friends and I plan to go on a hiking trip for a few days,” Amberg said. “It’s something fun and free to do.”
Another popular outdoor activity among students is camping. While most state parks currently charge off season site prices, this is an economical way to get away.
During the day, take advantage of the free park amenities and at night relax around the campfire. Fanny Turcios, 30, business major is looking forward to “a break” while camping in Kern Valley.
“We pack lots of food to grill and my family and I relax,” Turcios said. “It is very low budget.”
Not only do outdoor activities fit anyone’s budget, so do the art museums around Los Angeles. While The Getty Museum is always free admission, the Museum of Contemporary Arts, Los Angeles (MOCHA) and Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) both offer a student discount.  Experience all the museums have to offer including new projects on exhibit throughout the month.
Another popular and inexpensive activity is catching a comedy act. The Comedy and Magic Club located in Hermosa Beach offers a list of famous comedians for a night of entertainment. Tickets range between $10 and $20.
Even though school is out of session, many transfer students use spring break to visit their top choice universities.  It is a chance to tour the campus, explore a new area and meet new people.
“I am excited to check out the University of California, San Francisco and do a little sightseeing,” Edlin Burciaga, 18, nursing major said. “I am staying with family so it is very economical.”
Volunteering is also a popular spring break activity. Some students are trading in their time to give back to the community and help people in need.
The Volunteer Center located in Torrance provides a database of volunteer opportunities throughout the South Bay and programs to get involved. For more information visit volcenter.org.
No matter what activity students choose, spring break can be fun and memorable even on a budget. So students can explore their options and make this week a highlight of the spring semester.
“It’s a vacation and time to have some fun,” Munson said.