Baseball team ends 2-game losing streak

El Camino Warriors baseball team hosted the LA Mission Eagles Thursday, defeating them 4-1 and ending their two-game losing streak.

The Warriors pitchers were solid all day against the Eagles. Sophomore pitcher Ulices Moreno relinquished only two hits throughout eight innings, recording six strikeouts.

After the Eagles recorded three more hits against Moreno, freshman pitcher Sebastian Sanchez stepped up to the mound to close out the day for the Warriors.

Coach Nate Fernley felt Moreno was one of the biggest assets against LA Mission.

“Moreno had a great start,” Fernley said. “He did a great job throwing strikes and continuing the game.”

Sophomore shortstop Fred Smith felt that Moreno was one of the big reasons for the win against the Eagles.

The Warriors had an impressive day at the plate, recording nine total hits against the Eagles. EC’s biggest hitters on the day were sophomore designated hitter Alex Turner, freshman right-fielder Jonathan Pasillas, and Smith, all recording two hits each against LA Mission.

The Warriors scored early against LA Mission, earning two runs in the bottom of the first inning, scoring two more runs in the bottom of the third inning.

The Warriors scored early when Pasillas hit a triple to left center field, bringing in sophomore Alex Turner for the run and the RBI.

The next run came when sophomore catcher Joey Notch hit a single to right field, bringing in Pasillas for the early 2-0 lead.

The Warriors scored again in the bottom of the third inning when Joey Notch hit a sacrifice fly to right field, bringing in Alex Turner for the score.

The Warriors scored one final time when Smith hit a single to right field, bringing in Pasillas for the run.

Smith felt the early lead really helped to kick start the Warriors.

“We hopped out early, which I think really helped our momentum,” Smith explained.

After eight scoreless innings, the Warriors gave up one run in the top of the ninth inning, falling just short of a shutout.

Moreno felt one of the biggest things the team needs to work on is keeping their energy up.

“We need to not give up, and we need to keep scoring runs,” Moreno said.

Smith feels that the Warriors need to work on closing out their games better.

“We get these hot starts,” Smith said, “but we need to get that killer instinct.”

The Warriors improve their record to 9-4 after the victory against LA Mission, snapping their two-game losing streak. The Warriors travel to Long Beach Tuesday, March 3.