Modern adaption of ancient production coming to Campus Theatre

A man lies on the floor aroused, he then throws himself at his wife’s feet and begs her to put him out of his carnal misery. Although she can barely restrain herself, she refuses.

She has a different plan: to end war and bring peace to Athens.

This is a scene from Lysistrata, a sex comedy adapted from the work of Ellen McLaughlin and inspired by the play of Aristophanes. It will be playing at the Campus Theatre on Oct. 30 and Nov. 6-8.

It is a raunchy performance that reflects the anti-war movement of the Vietnam War era and its youthful spirit is filled with phallic humor and 1960s songs.

“This adaptation is still set 411 B.C. but we are taking liberties with it, it is a post-modern adaptation so that it really appeals to a modern audience,” Director Jerry Prell said.

The whimsy of the 1960s will be portrayed through the costumes, scenic design, lighting and “the music will be a reflection of the time,” he said.

Lysistrata, the protagonist, is a woman who rallies the women of Athens and the neighboring city-states to go into a sex strike as a means to bring peace.

Female empowerment is a big theme of the play. It is about women taking control and going on a sex strike to get the men to stop fighting an endless war and reunite with their families. It really empowers women to make a change, Prell said.

“You can see (Lysistrata) come into herself and grow stronger,” lead actress Deja Jones, 29, marketing and public relations major said.

This is a stark contrast to the reality that the women of Athens experienced.

In 411 B.C., women were virtually powerless and were treated as less than nothing, cast member Kyle Cook, 20, theater major said.

Chorus member Yesenia Cruz, 20, theater major, said the audience will be able to really connect with the play.

“I feel like even though it is a comedy there is so much truth to it,” Cruz said. “You’ll want to listen to the entire thing”

Despite challenges the cast and crew encountered along the way, Prell is confident of the students’ talent and ability to breathe new life into this ancient production.

“The hardest part of this project was coming up with a directional concept and having it come to fruition, but the cast is working hard to put on a good show,” Prell said.

“Lysistrata” will elicit shock and comedic discomfort cast member Angelina Rico, 19, theater major, said.

“You’ll have no other reaction than to laugh,” she said.