Filed under Arts, Top Stories

EC Art Gallery shows off an exhibition of personal narrative work

Gretchen Potts artwork

Gretchen Potts artwork "Wall Paper for the Mind," explains long term memories of the past in a suitcase. Photo credit: Victor Liptzin

El Camino hosted an art gallery exhibition to show peoples private experiences based on their personal narrative work according to the school website.

The exhibition called “Personal Matters,” is showing the work of 13 Southern California artists at the EC Art Gallery, according to the exhibits handout.

At this time you can enjoy the various stories being told in each work of art by the personal experiences of the artists from impacting life events that they have endured, also according to the shows hand out.

Personal Matters Picture 2.JPG

Here is a scroll painting called "House Remedies for Driving While Black," created by Zeal Harris who illustrates the life of African Americans. Photo credit: Victor Liptzin

“I’m very interested in art work that tells personal tales I think that it’s accessible to all kinds of people rather than artwork that is necessarily just formal,” Art Gallery Director Susanna Meiers said. “These particular people come from all different kinds of backgrounds and I find that really interesting.”

Stories are told by the works of art such as the experience of a woman giving birth to a baby emphasizing the fear and intensity of emotion captured in photographs with descriptions of the Artist Satoe Fukushima, according to the exhibits handout.

Other works of art in the exhibit express the struggles of living on the street and the early days of romance of a couple in Egypt before and after migrating to the United States and many other touching stories from artists such as Gloria Pascencia and Said Abdelsayed and other talented artist, according to the exhibition handout.

Meiers who is also an artist who likes painting and sculpting likes to make art from objects and materials that she finds from places like the streets or in the desert and creates little tiny tableaus which in French means a living picture with tiny people in them.

“There’s is good artwork, from drawings, paintings, sculptures, ceramics, print making, 3-D Design, 2-D Design and graphic design,” Manager of the Exhibition Michael Lewis Miller said.

Personal Matters Picture 1.JPG

A work of art created by Christine Tsutsui Saldana called "Departure," explaining the death of her family member explained in the form of Marionettes. Photo credit: Victor Liptzin

A student named Seo Chang, 22, general arts major and one of Lewis Millers students has done many crafts from carving chess pieces out of soap to digital arts as well as drawings and illustrations.

“I like to make crafts or something wearable,” Chang said.

Miller added the exhibit is a good opportunity for students to see “a traditional art gallery or museum.”

“The art gallery is a worthwhile visit as for many of the students it’s their first time that they’ve been in an art gallery, so I think it’s a really good opportunity to expose them to what kind of thing’s they might see in traditional art galleries and museums,” Miller said.

• EC Art Gallery shows off an exhibition of personal narrative work

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Jean Liu

Profiles

El Camino tennis player continues to compete despite illness and injuries

Softball

El Camino softball team earns second conference title in three years

News

El Camino is a skate and bike-free zone

Badminton

El Camino women’s badminton team beat El Camino-Compton Center to sweep the season series

Softball

Strong middle innings help El Camino softball team win 19th straight

Baseball

El Camino baseball team has won 20 consecutive games after win over L.A. Harbor College

Softball

El Camino softball team beat Rio Hondo College to extend its winning streak to 17 games

Baseball

Winning streak continues for the El Camino baseball team after win over El Camino-Compton Center

Sports

El Camino women’s tennis team ends season with loss to Rio Hondo College