Filed under Arts, Reviews, Top Stories

Audiences experience thrilling dances and insightful messages with ‘Dance Theatre’

Liz Hoefner Adamis and the Immediate Action Dance members perform during Act I of

Liz Hoefner Adamis and the Immediate Action Dance members perform during Act I of "An Evening Of Dance Theatre," titled "Enter Lenin!" in the Marsee Auditorium on Saturday, Oct. 22. This act was a parody of Dada artistic movement in Europe, founded as a reaction to World War I. Here it was used to imagine how their ideals represent today's political climate. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

Audiences cheered and laughed throughout the night to the energetic performances at “An Evening of Dance Theatre” on Saturday, Oct. 22 in the Marsee Auditorium.

In front of a packed floor full of friends, family, current and former students, El Camino Dance professor Liz Hoefner Adamis and her company of students, Immediate Action Dance, opened the night with their exciting piece, “Enter Lenin!”

An Evening Of Dance Theatre

Liz Hoefner Adamis/Immediate Action Dance performers express emotions through movement, during "Enter Lenin!", a parody of the ideals of Dada in the Marsee Auditorium on Saturday, Oct. 22. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

Adamis danced side-by-side with her students on stage, and together they delivered a witty political satire infused with brilliant dance moves.

“Liz is a very dynamic teacher, she’s so entertaining in the classroom, and she’s really a great dancer, ” Samara Williams, 24, dance major, said.

An Evening Of Dance Theatre

Members of Liz Hoefner Adamis/Immediate Action Dance perform during Act I of "An Evening of Dance Theatre" in the Marsee Auditorium on Saturday, Oct. 22. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

Though the opening was hard to follow, the next act, “Caseboldt and Smith,” took audiences in a completely different direction.

Liz Caseboldt and Joel Smith’s piece entitled “O(h)” was a comedic dialogue between the two partners combined with in-sync choreography and insightful humor.

They explored the ideas of male-female partnerships, and offered insight to what can and cannot be done through movement and what is possible to display in a duet performance.

“I love how they worked together in a duo, their bodies [had] a mutual understanding of each other, ” Erica Jones-Adkins, 22, dance major, said.

The night ended with The Collective Memory Project, a company that delivers a dramatic performance that includes real life stories, vibrant movements and audience participation to discuss ideas like survival and war.

“An Evening of Dance Theatre” transformed into an open discussion and a humorous critique of society, and kept the audience mesmerized by the movement and stunning performances on stage.

“I loved everything about it, the movements, how they told so many stories,” Desiree Jackson, 21, dance major, said.

EDITOR’S NOTE OCT. 27, 2016 11:39 P.M.: Changes were made for clarity purposes in the story.

• Audiences experience thrilling dances and insightful messages with ‘Dance Theatre’

Sports

Up next for track and field: South Coast Conference Finals

News

Two vehicles collide next to Parking Lot B; car crashes into construction fence

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Jean Liu

Profiles

El Camino tennis player continues to compete despite illness and injuries

Softball

El Camino softball team earns second conference title in three years

News

El Camino is a skate and bike-free zone

Badminton

El Camino women’s badminton team beat El Camino-Compton Center to sweep the season series

Softball

Strong middle innings help El Camino softball team win 19th straight

Baseball

El Camino baseball team has won 20 consecutive games after win over L.A. Harbor College

Softball

El Camino softball team beat Rio Hondo College to extend its winning streak to 17 games